When Mountains Move: A Novel by Julie…

When Mountains Move: A Novel

by Julie Cantrell

Into the Free by Julie Cantrell (NanceeM)
    NanceeM: Julie Cantrell pens an exceptional work of artistic creativity!

The story is set in the 1940s and the author has done an amazing job of writing a beautiful historical book. I appreciate the descriptions of Colorado in those days and made the story very realistic. It wasn't easy trying to start a new life in the rough terrain and our main characters will soon find out how much work is involved to start a ranch.

Millie is quite young when she married Bump Anderson. She is ready to begin a new life and doesn't mind the treacherous grounds they will have to travel to reach their destination. Millie has another reason to leave her old home that she hasn't told Bump about. What will happen when he finds out her secret?

Bump is a hard working man and is excited to take on the challenge of getting a deserted ranch back up and running. I loved the details of what chores were done daily to keep the ranch going. It was very hard work and I was impressed with Millie and her dedication to helping her husband's dream come true. I don't think I would want to go to a land and start from scratch trying to rebuild it. I did find her friend Kat to be most unpleasant. She sure has her eyes on Millie's husband and that really added some friction between the newlyweds.

When Millie's grandmother comes to visit Millie, I really enjoyed how her heritage was a focal point of the story. Her grandmother shared some wonderful stories about the past and described some of the Choctaw traditions. It seemed to really help Millie understand where she came from and how important her ancestors were. I loved the descriptions of their culture and I could picture Millie sitting in awe as Oca shared memories. When Millie has a very hard decision to make , I could feel her despair and pain. The author did a great job of talking about a very hard subject but did it with grace and showed the struggle that women go through when faced with this decision.
What does Millie decide to do ? Dies she make the right choice?

The book is a wonderful journey of newlyweds starting out, their struggles and the lessons they learn as they grow in their faith and learn to trust each other. The secret that Millie has hidden from Bump will be a huge shock and I loved how the author shared the pain and hurt that the secret had caused. If you love historical fiction with a powerful cast of characters and reading about the challenges they face this is the book to get. There are several characters I didn't mention but you will discover how they are intricate to the story about second chances , trust and unconditional love.

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Sep 15, 2016 |
I received a copy of When Mountains Move by Julie Cantrell in exchange for an honest review.

After Millie’s marriage to Bump she hoped things would get better for her, but life throws her another curveball – what should she do now?

From the very beginning, I could not help but get caught up in this book. I really felt such sadness for Millie, but at the same time I felt joy as well. Millie had found joy, but she was so caught up in the nightmare of her past and keeping some of it a secret that she at times only glimpsed her joy. My favorite character, however, was Oka, I absolutely loved her wisdom.

This book shows that we cannot persecute ourselves for the past and the behavior of others who hurt us. Great read!
  karmakath | Sep 8, 2014 |

karmaforlifechick | Aug 17, 2014 |
When Mountains Move is the sequel to Julie Cantrell’s debut novel, Into The Free. Into The Free won 2 Christy Awards in 2013 for Debut Novel and Book of The Year. I loved it and highly recommend it to anyone. However, this novel, which takes place immediately following the end of Into The Free, never really captured me in the same way. I kept waiting for the magic that was present in the first novel to show up. But in the end When Mountains Move was just a predictable and unsatisfying read for me.

When Mountains Move begins with the marriage of Millie and Bump and their move to Colorado from Mississippi to start a horse breeding ranch for the rodeo they both work for. Due to the rape that takes place in book 1, Millie has trouble with intimacy with Bump. Add to that her pregnancy by the rapist, and you have a story in which deeply held secrets strive to destroy the future that Millie has hoped for.

As I stated earlier, When Mountains Move was a predictable novel. Bump and Millie’s marriage suffers from the secrets held by Millie. The neighboring rancher, Kat, is a temptation for Bump and a point of jealousy for Millie. The novel became very soap opera-ish for me. The character of Millie’s grandmother was a shining spot, though. And even though the ending resolved problems begun in book 1, it was predictable as well.

Although I didn’t enjoy When Mountains Move, many did. Please check out some reviews to make your own decision. It got overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon.

(Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this novel. The opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Jul 20, 2014 |
Julie Cantrell, When Mountains Move. A beautiful story with the right touch of romance, mystery and drama. Millie is a lovely character which at first glance, appears to be meek and gentle. Upon further reading, it becomes clear there is much more substance to her. Though she lacks confidence in herself, she is incredibly strong. She has lived through difficult times. Where most would follow down the path they've always known, Millie manages to overcome, seek and find a better life. Something she knew existed, but never had.With time and experience, like a fine wine, an author continues to improve. I will be happy to watch this author as I know it is difficult to improve perfection.
Renee Robinson [[ASIN:1492844470 Misty Serenade: Wings (The Rise of Dragon Rose) (Volume 1)]] ( )
  ReneeRobinson | May 4, 2014 |

It is the spring of 1943. With a wedding and a cross-country move, Millie’s world is about to change forever.

If only her past could change with it.

Soon after the break of day, Bump will become Millie’s husband. And then, if all goes as planned, they will leave the rain-soaked fields of Mississippi and head for the wilds of the Colorado Rockies. As Millie tries to forget a dark secret, she hasn’t yet realized how drastically those past experiences will impact the coming days.
For most of Millie’s life, being free felt about as unlikely as the mountains moving. But she’s about to discover that sometimes in life, we are given second chances, and that the only thing bigger than her past … is her future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

It is the spring of 1943 and Millie's world is about to change forever. For most of her life, being free felt about as unlikely as the mountains moving. But she's about to discover that sometimes in life, we are given second chances, and that the only thing bigger than her past...is her future.--[p. 4 of cover]… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,536,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible