Renunciates of Darkover by Marion Zimmer…

Renunciates of Darkover

by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Other authors: Emily Alward (Contributor), Lynne Armstrong-Jones (Contributor), Chel Avery (Contributor), Margaret L. Carter (Contributor), Patricia B. Cirone (Contributor)14 more, Mary Fenoglio (Contributor), Kelly B. Jaggers (Contributor), Judith Kobylecky (Contributor), Mercedes Lackey (Contributor), Jean Lamb (Contributor), Vera Nazarian (Contributor), Patricia D. Novak (Contributor), Diana L. Paxson (Contributor), Andrew Rey (Contributor), Janet R. Rhodes (Contributor), Annette Rodriguez (Contributor), Joan Marie Verba (Contributor), Elisabeth Waters (Contributor), Deborah Wheeler (Contributor)

Series: Darkover: Publication order (28), Darkover: Friends of Darkover (8)

Marion Zimmer Bradley is famous for her Avalon books, but what I'm a fan of are her Darkover stories, set in an original world and a blend of science fiction and fantasy. This is one of a series of anthologies that basically are collection of "fan fiction" by other authors based on MZB's Darkover. I was impressed on reread of the first such book, The Keeper's Price. Enough I ranked it just below five stars, and was tempted to give it full marks. Not that I would argue it's deathless literature, but as a Darkover fan I loved it, and was surprised how memorable the various stories were even decades after I first read it--there were some I remembered just from the title, and no story I didn't completely enjoy. The sixth anthology, The Other Side of the Mirror, was also a standout, unusual in being a collection of novellas, not short stories, including one almost a novel by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

The other anthologies though, of which this is marked the ninth on LibraryThing (and eighth on Goodreads). Well, I can't say any one story is a standout. And as with the other anthology devoted to the Renunciates, Free Amazons of Darkover, some of the sexual politics seem a bit fusty. At the time I read the Darkover books as a teen, the inclusion of lesbian characters was near ground-breaking, while now I read this and feel the book suffers from everyone-is-gay syndrome I see so much in amateur fan fiction. But yes, this was one of the more enjoyable anthologies in this anthology series. It was as interesting to see a story from MZB's protege Mercedes Lackey as her soon-to-be-nemesis Jean Lamb. I particularly liked Chel Avery's "Strife," MZB's own "Amazon Excerpt" featuring Camilla and Rafaela, Diana Paxson's "A Butterfly Season" with its unusual aliens and the fairy-tale-like "Summer Fair" by Emily Alward. I don't know that this would be of much interest to those who don't already know and love Darkover--this certainly isn't a good introduction. But for a fan it should provide hours of pleasure. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 15, 2012 |

Avery, CherylContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hescox, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Partridge, Diann S.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strife:

One by one, Shaya n'ha Margali cautiously released her sisters from the five-way link.

FROM GUILD HOUSE TO LORD'S COURT

the Free Amazons ply their trade, serving as mercenaries wherever there is need, banding together in comradeship, setting themselves apart from the everyday rules of Darkovan society, setting themselves apart from the everyday rules of Darkovan society, earning their freedom with blade and deed, and freely giving shelter and assistance to any woman in search of a safe haven.

From a fledgling matrix circle formed by Renunciates to a Free Amazon hired to protect Comyn Lord Varzil from an assassin's deadly threat to Marion's own recounting of a seemingly insurmountable conflict between Camilla and Rafaella - well-remembered characters from her magnificent novel, THE SHATTERED CHAIN - here are 22 brand new tales about those dauntless Darkovan heroines beloved by the countless readers who are always eager ot return for new adventures on the world of the Bloody Sun

The eighth Darkover anthology returns to stories about the Free Amazons, also called Renunciates.Here are twenty-two brand new tales about the Renunciates, including Marion Zimmer Bradley's account of how Camilla and Rafaella changed from enemies to best friends. Stories in this volume were written by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Deborah J. Ross, Mercedes Lackey, Diana L. Paxson, Elisabeth Waters, Emily Alward, Priscilla W. Armstrong, Lynne Armstrong-Jones, Chel Avery, Margaret L. Carter, Patricia B. Cirone, Mary Fenoglio, Kelly B. Jaggers, Judith Kobylecky, Jean Lamb, Vera Nazarian, Patricia Duffy Novak, Diann S. Partridge, Andrew Rey, Janet R. Rhodes, Annette Rodriguez, and Joan Marie Verba.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible