Sword of Chaos and other stories by Marion…

Sword of Chaos and other stories (1982)

by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Editor)

Other authors: Marion Zimmer Bradley (Contributor), Jane Brae-Bedell (Contributor), Susan Hansen (Contributor), Dorothy J. Heydt (Contributor), Lynne Holdom (Contributor)12 more, Millea Kenin (Contributor), Adrienne Martine-Barnes (Contributor), Patricia Mathews (Contributor), Lynn Mims (Contributor), Aly Parsons (Contributor), Diana L. Paxson (Contributor), Susan Shwartz (Contributor), Terry Tafoya (Contributor), Elisabeth Waters (Contributor), Phillip Wayne (Contributor), Leslie Williams (Contributor), Mary Frances Zambreno (Contributor)

Series: Darkover: Publication order (17), Darkover: Friends of Darkover (2)

English (2)  French (1)  All languages (3)
Noted during my 1980's attempt to read every book in my small town library.
  juniperSun | Dec 4, 2014 |
Marion Zimmer Bradley is famous for her Avalon books, but I'm a fan of her Darkover stories, set in an original world and a blend of science fiction and fantasy. I was impressed on reread of the first Darkover short story anthology, The Keeper's Price--basically a collection of "fan fiction" by other authors based on MZB's world. Enough I ranked it just below five stars, and was tempted to give it full marks. Not that I would argue it's deathless literature, but as a Darkover fan I loved it, and was surprised how memorable the various stories were even decades after I first read it--there were some I remembered just from the title, and no story I didn't completely enjoy.

This second collection, though still enjoyable, didn't impress me as much. The first seemed mostly taken from a contest, and perhaps that pushed the quality up. So many in the contents page seem the usual suspects. Besides two stories from MZB, Diana L. Paxson, Susan M. Shwartz, Elizabeth Waters and Patricia Matthews all appeared in the first volume and Bradley's "The Lesson of the Inn" and Paxson's "A Gift of Love" were sequels to stories in the previous anthology. Elizabeth Waters' contribution "Rebirth" was a sequel to the story just before, "Escape," by Leslie Williams. Which btw I'd consider the strongest, certainly most memorable story in the collection; short and chilling. I also really loved Jane Brae-Bedell's "Dark Lady," which had a fairy tale feel. But on the whole I'd say this collection had less high points, and quite a few I'd consider rather weak--at least compared to the last volume. I'd still recommend this to a Darkover fan, but with less enthusiasm than the first anthology. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Nov 18, 2012 |

Zambreno, Mary FrancesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shapero, Hannah M.G.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A Gift of Love:

I cannot bear it ... thought Lionora

Darkover, the planet of the Bloody Sun, is one of the great triumphs of the imagination. Its people, its sciences, human and non-human, have been brought to life and its legendary has the ring of authentic folklore comparable only to the depth and complexity of the works of Tolkien and Frank Herbert.

Around the novels covering the history of this world - the bestselling books of Marion Zimmer Bradley - there has grown an enthusiastic organization known as the Friends of Darkover. the occasional gaps in history, the explanation of Darkovan myths, occupy their thoughts. - and many have tried their hands at tales to fill these marvels out.

SWORD OF CHAOS is a book of new stories about Darkover, edited and introduced by Marion Zimmer Bradley, who has supplied two new stories of her own. IN its pages everyone who has thrilled to SHARRA'S EXILE and THE SHATTERED CHAIN will find these stories fascinating, exciting, and very much the authentic Darkover.

This second anthology of all-original Darkover stories, first published in 1982, contains the following stories: Lesson of the Inn, by Marion Zimmer Bradley A Sword Called Chaos, by Marion Zimmer Bradley Dark Lady, by Jane Brae-Bedell Of Two Minds, by Susan M. Hansen Through Fire and Frost, by Dorothy J. Heydt Way of a Wolf, by Lynne Holdom A Recipe For Failure, by Millea Kenin Where the Heart Is, by Millea Kenin Di Catenas, by Adrienne Martine-Barnes Camilla, by Patricia Shaw Mathews Skeptic, by Lynn Mimms Cold Hall, by Aly Parsons A Gift of Love, by Diana L. Paxson In the Throat of the Dragon, by Susan M. Shwartz Legend of the Hellers, by Ty Nolan Escape, by Leslie L. Williams Rebirth, by Elisabeth Waters Confidence, by Phillip Wayne Wind-Music, by Mary Frances Zambreno

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,258,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible