Here I Am by Patti Kim

Here I Am

by Patti Kim

There is no text in this story. The illustrations shows a boy at the airport with his family. They arrived to a new city where seems they are moving to. His face doesn't seem happy, he seats sad by the window, and observes the new environment. One day, he chases a girl that accidentally took his "magical red coin", as he goes after her he finds a lot of fun things he could do in the city. He ends up finding the girl and they became friends. ( )
  lg503 | Jun 4, 2018 |
To see this week's wordless picture books please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Here I Am is a wordless children’s picture book of one incredibly inspiring story of a child’s immigration to the United States.

A child and his family leave their home and move into a busy city in the United States. This is difficult for him and he struggles getting used to his new life in the city. He has a new school, new house, and is surrounded by new people. In his hand he carries a keepsake from his homeland which helps him along the way. He accidentally drops it out of a window and down into the street. He realizes in order to get it back he’s going to have to go outside and explore which might just be the best thing for him.

This is a story about starting a new life and overcoming fear of the unknown. We enjoyed all the rich, detailed illustrations and the author’s note at the end.

5***** ( )
  Mischenko | Nov 30, 2017 |
Vivid illustrations enhance this wordless book, showing a touching story of surprising depth. A recently arrived immigrant boy in an American city feels alienated by the language and all that is new to him. His longing for his homeland is embodied in a seed he carries in his pocket. But he loses the seed, and his search to recover it leads him to adventures that open his eyes to wonderful discoveries and friendship. The universal story of the irony of loss that leads to acceptance and growth is portrayed with a rich, yet simple, sequence of lively drawings that express his shift in understanding the language and culture.
  EugeniaKim | May 15, 2017 |
A wonderful story to teach students about change and how change can be a good thing,
  ansleyg | Mar 12, 2017 |
I didn't like certain aspects of this book, but I did like other aspects. I did like the bigger picture that the author had in mind and it is that you should always try new things because you might find that you like it. This book was a wordless picture book which I always have a hard time figuring out exactly what the author is intending the reader to understand. Although in the back of the book there was a summary that told exactly what the author was thinking when she created the story. I thought this was helpful because you can't always decipher what the illustrations are showing. On the contrary, I did really like the illustrations. When the little boy had a flashback to when he lived in his home country, everything was bright and colorful that caught the readers’ eye. Whereas in comparison the background was grey, black and white to show that he was uninterested in where he lived now. I did also like the story line that the author gave through the illustrations. I think she did a good job of telling that sometimes things don't go your way but your luck start to change if you open your heart to new experiences. ( )
  Becca-Friedel | Nov 22, 2016 |

"Tells the story in pictures of a family newly immigrated to the United Sates and the challenges of starting a life in a new place"--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,376,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible