Phoenix Overture by Jodi Meadows

Phoenix Overture

by Jodi Meadows

263415,071 (4)None

I read the whole series first, and then read this. It was a neat little story. I had hoped for a little more background on the phoenix song, but otherwise it was good. ( )
  Nerdfighters | Mar 3, 2014 |
review I think that Phoenix Overture provides that extra information about Sam that is mention in the previous novels, especially in Asunder. Phoenix Overture tells the the Newsoul origin story and what came about to start the recycling of souls.

I'm glad that that I finally got Sam's perspective instead learning about Sam through Ana's eyes. Sam's life doesn't have an ideal life and he struggles with fitting in with his family and society. He's just trying to find himself while everyone is trying to define who he is. I thought that Phoenix Overture gives interesting insight into Sam that I kind of suspect, but reading about it made me just want to hug him.

Although I generally liked Phoenix Overture, it isn't exactly what I wanted. All I want is more Sam and Ana and more story progression within the story.
  myheartheartsbooks | Dec 10, 2013 |
So, when I found out that Jodi would be writing a novella to go along with this series, I squeed. When I saw it was from Dossam's POV, I jumped around for joy! I just love Sam. I didn't even care what it was about so long as I could see things from his POV.

And this was not disappointing in the least. I think the most interesting thing about this novella is it's from Sam's POV as a young boy of 15. I was not expecting that in the least. The novella read a bit like a middle grade read because he was younger in this story, but it was not at all boring. I loved Sam's voice.

The story shows us his relationship with his mother, father and brother and how it affected him. How he was always a bit of an outcast because of his love of music. And the story demonstrates how the music shaped him and was always part of his life from the very beginning, even before we were introduced to him.

It's a story of courage and remorse. A story of looking inside and finding out who you are and using that to make yourself happy, and to make the people around you understand who you are. It's sad and heart wrenching at times, giving us a key look into Sam's quiet and reserved nature (born of mistrust and fear).

The book also introduces us to Stef as his young friend. It's interesting to see how they met and how their friendship was borne and solidified.

It's so hard to review a novella because you don't want to spoil anything for the reader who has not read the books as of yet. I will say that this novella could certainly be read prior to starting the series, as it might give more insight into who Dossan truly is. It also introduces us to the world of Heart at it's beginnings. Any way you choose to read it, you won't be disappointed in Meadow's writing and prose.

This just made me that much more excited for Infinite! ( )
  bhwrn1 | Nov 19, 2013 |

Told from the perspective of Sam, the sensitive musician from Jodi Meadows's Incarnate series, lifetimes before he meets Ana, Phoenix Overture is a story of love and loss, strength and courage, and facing the consequences of the hardest of decisions.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible