Infinite by Jodi Meadows

Infinite

by Jodi Meadows

Series: Newsoul (3)

1193101,247 (4)3

This is the third and final book in the Incarnate series. I enjoyed the way everything was wrapped up and think fans of the series will be pretty pleased with how the series ends. I felt like the very end was a bit rushed, but other than that I enjoyed how the world was expanded some.

The Year of Souls is beginning and the caldera in Range is threatening to erupt. Janan is set to ascend on Soul Night and Ana knows that if they don’t stop him the city of Heart will not survive. Ana convinces her closest friends and the other New Souls of Heart to leave Heart and try to find new allies to stop Janan’s ascension.

This was a nice wrap up to this series. While I didn't like it as much as the first and second books in the series, I still thought it did a good job of wrapping things up. The pacing was a bit inconsistent at times. I thought the beginning was a bit slow, then as they traveled it felt a bit rushed, then slowed again in the second half, then the ending felt a bit rushed as well.

Ana is armed by the knowledge she learned in Janan’s Tower and knows the cost of reincarnation. Now she has to decide whether or not to tell her companions, especially Sam. She also knows that even though they don’t remember it now they accepted that cost at the time. She knows how much this will devastate her friends and is afraid what they will choose, eternal reincarnation or a life that you can only live once.

Ana makes some mistakes in this book, the biggest one is not being honest with her friends. However, she has also grown a ton as a character throughout the series. She has a new found confidence and the determination to do things no one ever thought was possible before.

Sam was a bit irritating in this book. He gets angry at Ana because of her secrets early on. He was not understanding, just bitter and it wasn’t much fun to read about. Honestly this book made me like Sam a lot less. He basically is making Ana suffer for his mistakes for a large portion of the book.

All of Ana’s other friends are just as interesting and engaging as in the previous books. None of them really stood out as being super engaging, but they did have some depth to them.

My favorite parts were where our characters met with some of the other magical creatures in this world, mainly centaurs, dragons, and phoenixs. We learn a lot more about the Shades and the Dragons both. There are some pretty awesome scenes between Ana and the Centaurs and Ana and the Dragons. This added a lot to the book for me. We also learn the history behind why Janan was originally locked in his tower and what the Phoenix has to do with it all. Still by the end of the series I was left wanting to know more behind the why and how of how this world came to be how it is in this series.

The book is well written and flows well. Things are tied up nicely, but I felt like it was a bit rushed...so much happens right at the end of the book. I did enjoy the ending I just wish it had been paced a bit better.

Overall it was a good wrap-up to the series and I think fans of the series will enjoy it. The characters are engaging but not awe inspiring, however I really love this world and loved that we got to spend more time learning about the non-human creatures in it. I also enjoyed the themes of reincarnation and the toll this takes on a society. Recommended to those who enjoy YA fantasy with dystopian overtones to it. ( )
  krau0098 | Apr 9, 2014 |
This was a quick, easy read. I was really fascinated with the way that the fantasy elements unfolded throughout the series. The romance was nice too and I thought it came to a good "happily ever after" sort of end. ( )
  Nerdfighters | Mar 3, 2014 |
I was sent Infinite by Harper Teen and was so glad! I'd wanted to read it and requested it because I enjoyed the first two in the series, and I wanted to know what would happen with Ana and Sam.
It is so hard to review a series that you've enjoyed, especially the last book. There is so much that I want to say but I want no spoilers and also, it is hard because it takes a while to really process, and I normally like to write my reviews right after so that everything is fresh in my mind. I have such a feeling of excitement going in because it is back with characters, plots, music and a love story that I have invested my time and emotions in. But on the other hand, there is sadness, because I knew that my time with Ana and Sam was limited in pages.
I've been invested in Ana since day one, and I really connected with her. She is courageous, brave and inquisitive. She has self doubts and issues from her past which helps me to relate with her even more, because I've seen those things in myself. But I really admire how she works through her doubts, and she incorporates how much Sam and the others who believe in her and are her friends into how she sees herself, and that is awesome. She has grown so much, but in this one, still finds things that she needs to continue to develop, especially working through selfishness and realizing communication is still important even when division or strife is there.
I've loved the sweet, trusting and steamy romance between Sam and Ana for quite a while. We get lots of that in this book, as well as them learning more about each other and progressing. They aren't without their trials though, because Ana has been keeping a secret from Sam, and it really does some distance and damage in this one. It was so hard when they were apart and not as close as they'd been, although I def understand Sam's hurt. I understood too why Ana kept it from him, she was just trying to protect him, but she should have learned from the ordeals with trust they'd dealt with in the past.
The answers begin slowly trickling in as Infinite, the last of the trilogy progresses, and Ana gets help from all sorts of unexpected places. The pacing is good, revealing things at the right times, not overwhelming but still keeping everything moving.
The costs were high in order to keep going with their mission to stop Janan, which made this book very emotional. The characters all grieved and processed things in their own way, which is true of people in the real world not only the bookish, so I was glad that was well written.
It wrapped up well, and I was pleased with the ending. Though I will say that I am a bit confused at a few of the details and exactly what that means for the characters, but the last page made those questions not as important because of the ending and what it means for the characters and things they'd promised and hoped for, not only for their lives but for each other.

Bottom Line: Good series ending, lots of action, hardship, romance and character growth. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Jan 6, 2014 |

"The stunning conclusion to the Incarnate trilogy, a fantasy series about a girl who is the first new soul born into a society where everyone else has been reborn hundreds of times. Ana knows that soon life in Heart will be at risk so she escapes with her friends, seeking answers and allies to stop Janan's ascension and keep the other Newsouls safe. But only she knows the true cost of reincarnation and the dangers she'll encounter if she returns to stop him once and for all" --… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible