A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan

A Crucible of Souls

by Mitchell Hogan

mom (27)

Really enjoyed this book. Jumped to different characters a few times so it through me off but they all blended together around the end. Going to recommend this book to all my family and friends. ( )
  Robertowiz | Jun 1, 2016 |
Great character development and world building, this is an impressive opening for a first time author.
I find a lot of fantasy novels are predictable, but not so with this one. There are some nice twists to the story that I did not anticipate. It is set in a harsh world and is suitably gritty to keep mature readers thoroughly entertained.
This is definitely a series that I'm looking forward to continuing with. ( )
  Jawin | Mar 26, 2016 |
I found this book to be very entertaining. There were four different plots going on. Caldan's, Aiden's, Amerdan's and Vasile's. Caldan is an orphan, raised in a monastery. He is exiled from the monastery after an accident occurs. Caldan heads to the nearest city, Anasoma, and eventually finds himself as an apprentice at the Sorcerer's Guild. Aiden is with a group who are charged with hunting down evil. They are following traces of evil sorcerers. Amerdan is a man who is killing sorcerers and apprentices and somehow absorbing their life forces. And Vasile is a government official who oversees disputes of the city's citizens. He can sense when someone is lying or telling the truth. As I was reading, I was wondering how these plots were going to all come together. It isn't made clear until later that Amerdan and Vasile are even in Anasoma. But this made the book all the more intriguing. The plots and characters all come together near the end. The book ends on a cliff hanger with a twist. I can't wait for the second one to come out! ( )
  catzteach | Jul 18, 2015 |
Great story. Now comes the dreaded wait for the release of the next one in the series. ( )
  Benjamin.Timmins | Jan 8, 2014 |

When young Caldan's parents are brutally slain, the boy is raised by monks who initiate him into the arcane mysteries of sorcery. Growing up plagued by questions about his past, Caldan vows to discover who his parents were, and why they were violently killed. The search will take him beyond the walls of the monastery, into the unfamiliar and dangerous chaos of city life. With nothing to his name but a pair of mysterious heirlooms and a handful of coins, he must prove his talent to become apprenticed to a guild of sorcerers. But the world outside the monastery is a darker place than he ever imagined, and his treasured sorcery has disturbing depths he does not fully understand. As a shadowed evil manipulates the unwary and forbidden powers are unleashed, Caldan is plunged into an age-old conflict that will bring the world to the edge of destruction. Soon, he must choose a side, and face the true cost of uncovering his past.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mitchell Hogan's book A Crucible of Souls was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Mitchell Hogan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,654,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible