A Taste for Blood by David Stuart Davies

A Taste for Blood

by David Stuart Davies

212,551,640 (4)None
Recently added byCorazie

I didn't really want this story to end. I didn't know how it was going to end, and I just loved that feeling. Too often can you predict what's going to happen in a book, but A Taste For Blood? Nope. You can't.

First take a look at the cover. It's dark and twisted and broody and makes me think of Jack the Ripper, a world awash with blood.

I love crime books, I probably read one each week, but I didn't think this would be my cup of tea. How wrong I was. It was like a pot of steaming Darjeeling.

The narrative switches between a few different characters in this book, but that didn't bother me at all. All of the characters had their own strong voice, their own mannerisms with language which made them stand apart from each other.

The characters are really very British, so there's an abundance of tea - and we all know how I love my tea.

I grinned. "I'm anybody's for a cuppa and a biscuit."

I could relate to the characters. Well, most of them. Not really Sexton or Northcote. Eew. Although I did understand Northcote's motives towards the end. My favourite character to read was probably David Llewellyn.

This book twists and turns so unexpectedly that I re-read more than a few sections, just to make sure I'd taken it all in properly. It's gruesome and violent and more than once my toes curled. It's horrific in the way that all good crime should be, with blood and gore everywhere and enough mystery to keep you, as a reader, on your toes.

Some things didn't really work for me though. Mostly the setting. World War Two London, and the characters are popping into pubs for a sandwich and cafés for meals, and drinking lots of overly sweet tea and alcohol. It doesn't make sense to me that these resources would be so readily available in wartime London with rationing in full swing. I'm a tea addict (and tea-geek) so I know how little tea was available, not to even mention the more scarce products like sugar, and it just doesn't add up to me.

Copy provided via NetGalley in exchange for honest review. ISBN 9781907230486. ( )
  Corazie | Jul 25, 2013 |

The sixth novel in the Detective Johnny (One Eye) Hawke series. Two laser-sharp detectives, two thought-provoking cases and two skilful plots. Featuring private investigator Johnny (One Eye) Hawke, and his one-time colleague in the police force Detective David Llewellyn. Llewellyn is investigating the chilling crimes of a top psychiatrist and his scheming patient who the doctor believes has knuckled under his authority. In the meantime, Hawke is on the case of a mysterious suicide in Edgware Road... soon discovered as not your average suicide. The guts and insight of the two investigators bring both cases to a head - though you won't even begin to see how until you have turned the last pages. Review: "This is a delightful read because you are not quite sure what will happen and you are hooked enough to keep on reading. Enjoyable." - J Robert Ewbank, author… (more)

Sparkling Books

2 editions of this book were published by Sparkling Books.

Editions: 1907230467, 1907230483

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,503,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible