The Apothecary's Garden by Julie Bozza

The Apothecary's Garden

by Julie Bozza

This was quite a beautiful romance, and strange enough, while the pace was slow, for various reason I will explain, the story wasn't at all boring, and actually it was captivating, like a blanket wrapping you in winter, letting no desire to go out of your nestle.

Hilary is 65 years old; already enough an original character for a story cause you aren't used to imagine senior people to have love story, or if they do, they are chaste, often with people their own age. When you pair him with 23 years old Tom, well that was unexpected. Above all cause, it's Tom who initiates everything, being charming and hinting to an interest that was beyond their common task of restoring a psychic garden in Hilary's backyard.

For Hilary is more upsetting to accept what people will think of them, than believing that Tom is really interested in him. Maybe cause Tom is really an open character, no hidden layer, honest and kind from the beginning; Hilary doesn't question if Tom has an hidden agenda, and so he believes Tom's feelings are sincere. What he questions are how much enduring they are, and what Tom's friends and relatives will think if he has a relationship with a man that could easily be his grandfather.

I liked how respectful the author was of these two men, and how she didn't deprive them of the sexual nature of their relationship. Tom is 23 years old and it would be unbelievable if he hadn't desires; sure their love making is different from that of two twenty something fellows, but nevertheless is satisfying for the both of them.

The story has its bittersweet undertone, and the author doesn't hide what is the possible future of this couple; they can find happiness, but indeed, happiness with Hilary will not last for the entire life of Tom, but is it better to love and lose or to not love at all?

elisa.rolle | Apr 19, 2014 |
What can I say? This book is still with me, the writing just went right into my soul, slow and steady, just burrowed in to stay.

I can perhaps say as Hilary himself was thinking:
"He was breaking the habits of a lifetime. It was enough to make a man giddy with delight."

Yes, giddy with delight. How very appropriate. Absolutely. Exactly. Me, too, Hilary! Me, too!

This book is made of soft-spoken awesome. Yes, it is a relationship that you do not encounter everyday. And No, it didn't turn me off. And Yes, I adored it, and No it wasn't disgusting, as some reviews have made it look.

It was simply a story of love. And love is love. That is all.

Tom says it best:
"You've got a heart that loves ... and bits that give you pleasure ... and dignity to be respected."

Oh, Tom, you rascal, you made me cry and snotsob, and then you made it all better, and then I was afraid again.

And Hilary was just the same, making me cry like a baby and smile like a loon.

For once, here is a man who turns down a handjob. And. It. Makes. Sense. Here. First time ever.
See, this is where following your character takes you—when you're truly following the personality of a specific character, it takes you to certain places. And things happen in specific ways, BECAUSE of that character.

I love an author who knows to follow that voice, the one that tells you who this character is, on a fundamental level.

Beautiful.

And Hilary, this sweet, but slightly cautious man, has truly entered my heart. He is here to stay. As is his garden, a garden that I can see in front of me as I write these words now. I can both see it as it must have appeared the first time he set eyes on it, all jungle-like and impenetrable. But I can also see it with my mind's eyes now, after Tom has lived, and moved things around, and taken care of it for years.

Oh, but it is truly beautiful.

Love, dear people, is love. And when it comes your way, you better be ready to grab it with both hands.
And once you have grabbed it, hold on to it, because you never know for how long you will have it.

And read this book. Do away with your feelings of "Eew, he's older!"

Just think about the love that one can find. And embrace it. Run with it.

Hilary. This lovely man of very few, soft-spoken words and endless pots of tea and encouragement.

What a man. What a beautiful man!

Thank you, Ms Bozza, for writing this story. You made it shine.

So, so beautiful.

***
This review can also be found at My Fiction Nook ( )
  AnnaLund2011 | Sep 20, 2013 |

added by gsc55 | editPrism Book Alliance, Lirtle (Feb 28, 2015)

added by gsc55 | editHearts on Fire, Mandy (Apr 6, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Sue (Jan 3, 2014)

Julie Bozza is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,452,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible