Satanic Diaries by Krister Jones
312,001,085 (4.5)None
Recently added bydeweyquilt, Corazie, geocroc
comedy (1) devil (1) diary (1) Golf (1) hell (1) Himmler (1) Hitler (1) Satan (1) to-read (1)

Suspend your grip on reality for The Satanic Diaries. This is a comedy 'fantasy' novel, that provides an account of a few months in the life of Satan through his diary entries. The initial premise is that Satan's psychiatrist has suggested he should write a diary in order for him to deal with his 'anger issues'. We soon find that Satan is a man getting bored and disillusioned with his life in charge of Hell, a job that has become increasingly bureaucratic in the 21st century. He also suspects his wife, Sandra (in Hell because he ran a vicar over in her car) is having an affair. His only opportunity to relax is when he takes to the golf course on a Saturday morning for a round with his mate, Adolf.

The Diaries feature many cameo appearance from perpetrators of evil throughout history, with Himmler leading the pack. But we also get to meet God, initially through the monthly diplomatic lunches between Heaven (or Up as it's known) and Hell.

The first third of this short novel is very much scene setting, introducing us the the characters and personality of Satan himself, peppered with small, short-lived plots. The rest of the book is more plot driven, as Satan takes action to escape from the mad mad world that surrounds him. And as he flees, he encounters more than he's bargained for and has to face the consequences.

This is undoubtedly surreal, if not a little twisted, but all the better for it! I've never read anything quite like it, and until Volume 2 makes an appearance, I probably won't read anything like this again! ( )
  geocroc | Apr 4, 2013 |
For Vanessa and Matthew, with love.
I don't know why I'm doing this, I really don't.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,821,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible