God Must Be Weeping by J.D. Winston

God Must Be Weeping

by J.D. Winston

222,551,640 (4.5)None
Recently added byeheinlen, MyBookAddiction
combat (1) fiction (1) friendship (1) historical (1) war (1) WWII (1)

Well-written and interesting. I found parts of the book to be slow, but, in general, I liked it. ( )
  eheinlen | Oct 18, 2014 |
GOD MUST BE WEEPING by J.D. Winston is an intense,compelling War World II Historical Fiction. 1942. "From basic training through deployment to the Philippines,Winston follows the unlikely camaraderie" of these men. An interesting cast of characters,including Monty,Mo, Mako,Hunter,Shango and a few others along the way. The story is told through the eyes of Monty(Montgomery Winston). Monty is wounded and finds himself falling in love with,Jane,an Australian nurse he meets in a field hospital. When he returns to combat, he is captured and finds himself writing a journey to stay sane. Filled with mistrust,combat,lose,grief,courage,friendships,faith,bigotry,passion,the perils of war,and the reality of combat. A riveting story from beginning to end. Be warned it is heart wrenching as well as compelling. Well written with vivid descriptions,engaging characters and an interesting storyline. If you enjoy a tender love story,historical fiction with reality, tales of heroism,friendship and war than "God Must Be Weeping" is the next story for you. You will need tissues! A great read that shows the readers once again, what has been sacrificed and lost for our freedom. A must read! Received for an honest review from the publicist and/or author.

RATING: 4.5

HEAT RATING: MILD

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Jul 25, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0615681948, Paperback)

God Must Be Weeping is a bracing account of a young man’s journey in the backdrop of WWll, a riveting drama abounding in conviction and passion and faith.The story unfolds through the eyes of MONTGOMERY Mason, a young Italian-American consumed with patriotic fervor who strives to follow his dream of becoming a soldier. In defiance of his beloved mother's wishes, MONTY, an aspiring writer, forfeits a job at "The Times' and enlists in the army. In boot camp, he forges lifelong friendships with three men who hail from such disparate backkgrounds, their Drill Sergeant tags them with the moniker, "The Misfits." HUNTER, a striking soldier, has a flair for raising his fists, and paradoxically, easing the tenor in troubled times; MO, a Southerner, with deep religious convictions struggles between the moral implications of warfare and fierce patriotism he sports in his gray eyes—and MAKO, who comes from a gilded upbringing and shines in every maneuver. The genesis of their camaraderie remains a mystery, and is tested once their deployed to the war-torn iridescent beaches of the Pacific Theatre. Forced to endure the human shuffle of war, these men examine the intangible questions of free will, faith and mortality. ____MONTY gets wounded and falls in LOVE with an Australian nurse he encounters in a field hospital. Memories of their star-crossed affair compel him to persevere when he is captured. In his cell, he ruminates on the past and reflects on the lovely vision that had rendered him speechless: JANE ____A prison guard slips MONTY a coconut and stack of paper in the hopes he will 'break.' Instead, he chronicles his life story, and his scribbling becomes the heartbeat of the novel. The cadenced splendor of MONTY's account set against the shuffles of prison life reveals an engrossing tale of redemption, faith and love. ____MO scours the jungle for his buddies and collides with a courageous African American soldier named SHANGO. Both men are reticent to join forces and filled with preconceptions about the other. Inevitably, their relationship becomes a crucible of wills. MO & SHANGO soon discover the inanity of prejudice, and come to realize they share more than a uniform. A poignant historical fiction, GOD MUST BE WEEPING is a vivid illustration of Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s sentiment: “It’s not miracles that generate faith, but faith that generates miracles.” ____AN EXCERPT FROM THE NOVEL : On many a Carolina morning, I awoke before the sun rose over the snowcapped mountains and the colorful light of dawn puddled at my bedside. I lay on my side awaiting the sound of that vexatious bugle. Once the army raised its colors, a commotion unfurled in the barracks; men shuffled out of their upper and lower berths, stumbling here and there like wooden soldiers, marching toward the latrine. I scarcely budged. I pulled out my journal from my footlocker and emptied my thoughts onto a cold page. It wasn’t easy. A ruckus seemed to always be going on in the early hour. In general, MAKO was first to rise. His morning routine consisted of running three miles and leaping over sun-dials before he followed the smell of pine needles back to the barracks, anxious to get a move on. He showered and shaved by the time any of the men rolled out of bed.__MO, on the other hand, turned out to be a heavy sleeper like me. He preferred to lounge under the army’s drab sheets and peruse the same leather-bound volume. Every time I caught a bleary glimpse of him, his shoulders were hunched, and his gray eyes peered deep into the book’s raggedy pages. I made a vow that one day I would swipe it out of his hand. Until then, I would simply have to remain curious.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,562,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible