Fractured Legacy (Darkness Bound) by Skye…

Fractured Legacy (Darkness Bound)

by Skye Callahan

From Amazon:
Kaylyn Anderson's fascination with abandoned places and dark creatures kindled her work as a paranormal investigator. But when dreams begin to distort reality, she questions what is real and pulls away from everyone she trusts. The opportunity to investigate the Teague Hotel--a long-abandoned landmark that has always piqued her curiosity--provides a chance to redeem herself. Unraveling the hotel's secrets won't be easy, but Kaylyn soon finds herself the target of a dark entity that has been trapped in the building for decades.

If Kaylyn stands any chance of defeating the spirit, she'll have to accept that her fears are real and convince fellow investigators that she hasn't lost her mind.

My thoughts:
I am new to the genre so though the story had potential I found it fractured. It was difficult to follow as the background was sparse, the scenes didn't flow rather they jumped. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 19, 2016 |
This is a wonderful read and I am blessed to have gotten an Advanced Review Copy of the e-book.

Skye Callahan has an amazing ability to keep me wanting to read more. I found as I got to the end of each chapter, I felt like I just HAD to know what happened next. I read this in a single day, over several sittings. While at work.

As for the book, it gets right into the story by quickly introducing us to two of the major players, Kaylyn and her sister Cole. They work for a unique investigative agency that is well known in their town, even if most do not know what exactly it is they do.

I identified quickly with Kaylyn, as she and I share the trait of hating to leave the bed. Especially in the early morning. Like....before noon! She is also very blunt at times, and can curse quite eloquently when the situation demands. (There isn't too much language in this book)

The book takes an interesting spin on the paranormal. This installment in the series has a spooky component that is just strong enough to keep you reading. It could have been scarier, but this is Ms. Callahan's first published novel. I look forward to reading the next installment in the series to see how she grows in her writing.

Over all, I would recommend this book to any paranormal fan. The characters are well written and compelling, as is the story. ( )
  weinerjm | Jan 10, 2016 |
Two sisters, Kaylyn and Cole, work for a secret, but yet not-so-secret, paranormal investigation firm known as Aicil. After returning to the office from a case gone wrong, they find that their boss/mentor has been let go and that one of the sisters is on probation. They have one case to prove their worth. Investigate paranormal claims at the historic Teague Hotel.

I wasn’t very impressed with this one. The overall story was engaging enough, but the characters were less than one-dimensional and the dialogue was just bad. There was very little development of any of the characters and I couldn’t tell if this book was supposed to be targeting the young adult paranormal demographic or something else. It was a quick read, but I would recommend spending that time elsewhere. ( )
  JechtShot | Feb 14, 2015 |
Not especially bad, but neither is it very good. We’re provided with what sounds like an interesting scenario about two sisters working for a company doing investigations of the supernatural. Of course no one, friends or family, can know what they’re really doing. The story mostly follows the older sister, Kaylyn who is seriously stressed from lack of sleep and nightmares she’s having which she doesn’t want to share with anyone.

It’s difficult to know whether Kaylyn’s personality is always so disagreeable—how much of it is stress related—but it seems likely from other things said. I certainly had a hard time feeling empathy for her even with the stuff she was dealing with, but that’s partly because we really aren’t given a reason to like her.

The scenarios are interesting, although we’re provided a somewhat chopping-flowing story. Some things are still not clear after finishing the book. The author also needs some help with editing, character building and pulling the reader into the story to feel the tension and emotions of the characters. ( )
1 vote dearheart | Dec 18, 2014 |
Previously released as Fractured Legacy, Book 1 by Skye Callahan

Skye Callahan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,045,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible