Getting Away with Murder: The True Story of…

Getting Away with Murder: The True Story of the Emmett Till Case (2003)

by Chris Crowe

A good documentary that shows you what ruthless whites can be when they get their hands on a pretty eyed black in the segregated south. This book shows as the difference of the treatment of the whites to African Americans in the south and the north. Emmet Till is a boy from Chicago and goes on a summer vacation to meet his Grand uncle in Mississippi.Not heeding to his mother's warning on treating white people highly, Till ends up flirting with a young married American wife at a store encouraged by his friends. After a few days, revenge is taken out on Emmet Till by the young woman's husband. His body was to be found in the river. With his neck being attached to a cotton gin. ( )
  sabdelaz | Mar 15, 2014 |
In the beginning the author mentioned how many people have never heard about this murder case, but I knew about it and was intrigued to read more about it. This would be a great book in high school and middle school in addition to the textbook about the civil rights movement. I think this case is important and needs to be known by all to show how racial discrimination is not worth the cost of people's lives.
  pamela12286 | Feb 26, 2012 |
This is intended for young adults, but it is an intelligently written account that can be appreciated by anyone wanting to learn about the murder of Emmett Till and its ramifications. The book includes numerous pictures, even the infamous picture of Till in his coffin, looking barely human, that, published in Jet redoubled the outrage over this ghastly, but seminal event. Some of the greatest praise of Emmett is found in the interview of his murderers after their acquittal, as they express their outrage at his refusal to be intimidated, even in the face of torture and death.

I am often astonished at the ability of people to fail to take responsibility for their own actions, especially disproportionate actions. Always, the complaint is, someone provoked me, and it is their fault if I behave badly. And so it is here: we are to understand that most white Mississippians were horrified, but the reaction of “outsiders” “forced” them to rally around the murderers, acquit them, and publicly defend them in order to “protect” the South and the Southern way of life. We are told that in fact they were later ostracized, but the consequences, the galvanization of the Civil Rights movement, shows how that strategy worked out. The book includes a bibliography, a list for further reading, websites, and a list of art created to honor Till's life and death. ( )
  juglicerr | Jan 9, 2012 |
I was nervous to read this book because it is still a controversial topic today that isn't discussed in schools. I like how the author didn't just focus on the murder aspect, but also the civil rights and social implications aspect of it. Classroom use: Could be used as an introduction to the Civil Rights movement.
  BKorfel | Jun 6, 2010 |
I was afraid this book might focus on the infamous photograph of Till's bloated dead body but it covers more of the trial, his family and the Civil Rights Movement that is helped spark by this and other events of injustices. STUDENTS CAN LEARN OF THE JIM CROW SOUTH AND TRUE EVENTS OF RACIAL INEQUALITY.
  coolman | Feb 26, 2009 |
“I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., August 28, 1963
I have the same dream for my four children and for all children who live in our land of the free.   I dedicate this book to them.
I was born near Chicago, Illinois, in 1954, just one year before fourteen-year-old Emmett Tille was murdered in Tallahatchie County, Mississippi.   (Introduction)
In August 1955, a group of white men murdered a fourteen-year-old Black boy in the Mississippi Delta.  (Chapter 1)

The kidnapping and murder of Emmett Till is famous as a catalyst for the Civil Rights Movement. Emmett Till, a fourteen-year-old Black teenager from Chicago, was visiting family in a small town in Mississippi during the summer of 1955. Likely showing off to friends, Emmett allegedly whistled at a white woman. Three days later his brutally beaten body was found floating in the Tallahatchie River. The extreme violence of the crime put a national spotlight on the Jim Crow ways of the South, and many Americans-Black and white-were further outraged at the speedy trial of the white murderers.  Although the two white men were tried and acquitted by an all-white jury, they later bragged publicly about the crime. It was a galvanizing moment for Black leaders and ordinary citizens, including such activists as Rosa Parks.  In clear, vivid detail Chris Crowe investigates the before-and-aftermath of the crime, as well as the dramatic court trial, and places it into the context of the nascent Civil Rights Movement.

With lively narrative and abundantly illustrated with forty fascinating contemporaneous photographs, this impressive work of nonfiction brings fresh insight to the case in a manner that will be accessible and eye-opening for teenagers and adults alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:27 -0400)

Presents a true account of the murder of fourteen-year-old, Emmett Till, in Mississippi, in 1955.

13 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible