Getting Away with Murder: The True Story of…

Getting Away with Murder: The True Story of the Emmett Till Case (2003)

by Chris Crowe

After recently becoming interested in the tragedy of young Emmett Till, a teacher of mine recommended this text. This book provided a great deal of information that I had not already discovered, as well as providing some pictures I had not yet found through the internet. The trial of Emmett's murderers is discussed in this text, as well as their not guilty verdict and then their later discussion of the murders. A picture of Bryan and Milam smirking after their not guilty verdict really disgusted me as this story already upsets me. Emmett Till was only 14 years old but went on to inspire change and movement that no one could have predicted, partly in thanks to his courageous, grieving mother. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 15, 2014 |
This book discusses the short life of Emmett Till, along with the details of his murder. His murderers face kidnapping and murder accusations, which end in the result of not guilty verdicts. I have always been fascinated with Emmett's story, and this book did not disappoint. I was unaware that his murderers eventually gave interviews on the gruesome details of the murder for the exchange of money. Just disgusting! Influential people like Rosa Parks were inspired by Emmett's story to take a stand towards the Civil Rights Movement. ( )
  Kbernard | Jul 1, 2014 |
Emit Till was a 14 year old black boy from Chicago who was visiting his uncle and cousins in the deep south (Mississippi). Because he was not raised in the south he was not aware of how dangerous it is to "leave your place" there and he makes some very offensive (to the southerner's) advances on a white woman, thus making him pay with his own life.
  skm88 | Jun 8, 2014 |
A good nonfiction book that shows you what ruthless whites can do when they get their hands on a pretty eyed black in the segregated south. This book shows us the difference of the treatment of the blacks in the south and the north. Emmett Till is a boy from Chicago and goes on a summer vacation to meet his Grand uncle in Mississippi.Not heeding to his mother's warning on treating white people highly, Till ends up flirting with a young married American woman at a shop while being encouraged by his friends. After a few days, revenge is taken out on Emmett Till by the young woman's husband. His body was to be found in the river. With his neck being attached to a cotton gin and his body damaged greatly. ( )
  sabdelaz | Mar 15, 2014 |
In the beginning the author mentioned how many people have never heard about this murder case, but I knew about it and was intrigued to read more about it. This would be a great book in high school and middle school in addition to the textbook about the civil rights movement. I think this case is important and needs to be known by all to show how racial discrimination is not worth the cost of people's lives.
  pamela12286 | Feb 26, 2012 |
“I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., August 28, 1963
I have the same dream for my four children and for all children who live in our land of the free.   I dedicate this book to them.
I was born near Chicago, Illinois, in 1954, just one year before fourteen-year-old Emmett Tille was murdered in Tallahatchie County, Mississippi.   (Introduction)
In August 1955, a group of white men murdered a fourteen-year-old Black boy in the Mississippi Delta.  (Chapter 1)

The kidnapping and murder of Emmett Till is famous as a catalyst for the Civil Rights Movement. Emmett Till, a fourteen-year-old Black teenager from Chicago, was visiting family in a small town in Mississippi during the summer of 1955. Likely showing off to friends, Emmett allegedly whistled at a white woman. Three days later his brutally beaten body was found floating in the Tallahatchie River. The extreme violence of the crime put a national spotlight on the Jim Crow ways of the South, and many Americans-Black and white-were further outraged at the speedy trial of the white murderers.  Although the two white men were tried and acquitted by an all-white jury, they later bragged publicly about the crime. It was a galvanizing moment for Black leaders and ordinary citizens, including such activists as Rosa Parks.  In clear, vivid detail Chris Crowe investigates the before-and-aftermath of the crime, as well as the dramatic court trial, and places it into the context of the nascent Civil Rights Movement.

With lively narrative and abundantly illustrated with forty fascinating contemporaneous photographs, this impressive work of nonfiction brings fresh insight to the case in a manner that will be accessible and eye-opening for teenagers and adults alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:27 -0400)

Presents a true account of the murder of fourteen-year-old, Emmett Till, in Mississippi, in 1955.

13 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible