Tempting a Devil by Samantha Kane

Tempting a Devil - Samantha Kane

'Tempting a Devil' is the first of 'The Saint's Devils' books I have read. This story does stand alone but to maximize your enjoyment read 'The Devil's Thief' the first book in the series too.

I love the heroine Harriet Mercer or 'Harry.

Subjected to the worst of arranged marriages she survives and matures into an independent woman. The cost of this transformation isn't revealed until later. Difficult choices allowed Harry to maintain her hard-fought independence and the well-being of her child whom she adores.It is the outcome of these decisions which are explored in the story and ensure Harry is not the usual Regency heroine.

Roger Templeton is a rake whose reformation into gentleman is too quick for my taste. A chance meeting with Harry forces him to examine and change his way of life but a few scenes of the devilish rake before this process began would have increased my enjoyment.

Secondary characters Hil and Wiley are interesting and support the main characters well. The villain's character is well-developed and he is easy to visualize. The author explores the unsavory themes,common in Regency England with sensitivity. The humorous thread stops it becoming too dark.

The plot is complex but not complicated. The pace of the book ensures an easy read. The heat level of this book is varied and appropriate for the genre. The sensual scenes are well written. More historical detail would have enhanced the story.

I will definitely read the first book in the series and the subsequent ones and I recommend 'Tempting a Devil' to lovers of fast paced, sensual Regency romance.

ARC courtesy of Random House Publishing Group – Loveswept via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jane.hunt.509511 | Nov 18, 2014 |
*I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

The second book in the series is focused on Roger Templeton who, on the previous book, had already hinted at not being the unconscious rake he appears to be. The story takes place a few months after Alaisdar and Julianna's wedding, when Roger inadvertently interrupts an amorous affair and ends up saving the dame who has meanwhile changed her mind. The dame in question is Harriet who, despite having changed her mind about the gentleman she was with, seems determined to have an affair that night and Roger is just the man to do it! But as they are getting “acquainted”, they realize they have known each other their whole life... Roger and Harry grew up together, with Harry always following Roger, determined to do everything he did and Roger getting her away from the messes she gotten herself into.

However, they haven't seen each other in 15 years, ever since Roger left to study. And Harry's life has not been an easy one since then. But now she finally has the life she wants, she's a widow, rich and free to live her life with her son. That's if she succeds in hopelessly tainting her reputation, therefore ruining the plans of the scoundrel who is blackmailing her into marrying him. That's where Roger fits in her plan, if only she can convince him to have an affair with her...

The scenes where Roger is chased and harassed by Harry and behaves like a damsel are hilarious. But a man can only take so much and Harry is obviously not indifferent to him, so Roger agrees to an affair with her, but on his terms. After all, none of them is interested in love or marriage, right?

This was my favorite book in the series, maybe because Roger was my favorite devil. His protection of Harry, not only of her physical wellbeing but also of her reputation, his fondness of her child and his dispair for believing himself not worthy of her, he's definately my kind of hero!

Once again Sir Hilary and Wiley are instrumental in helping the couple get their happy ending and assuring the villain has his punishment. I have only one thing to point out, and that's the fact that Alasdair and Julianna aren't practically on the story (because they're on their honeymoon). I would have liked to see the three devils in action once again, but I suppose it allowed Wiley to have more protagonism.

A final note for the cover, which I love, and that, like the one of the previous book, represents the main couple perfectly. ( )
  landslide | Nov 12, 2014 |
There are pockets of passion in Tempting a Devil that are VERY hot. Roger's desire, barely leashed, is toe-curling fun. His refusal to consummate the "affair" inspires delivery of creative and delicious alternative erotic experiences. Roger is wildly sensual, charmingly tender and sweetly respectful of sexually naive Harriet. Equally enjoyable is witnessing Harriet's sexual liberation. She grows bold and assertive as her body and spirit are awakened.

I was hoping for a little more scoundrel in Roger's character. He is touted as a devil and a ruthless rake. We have to take his word for it because in this story, almost from the start, despite reactive gruffness and discontent with events, he chooses to be a chivalrous, honor-bound gentleman. I would have loved to have seen more of Roger's devilish side before he chose to reform.

This is a breezy afternoon read. The romance isn't overly dramatic nor the mystery too involved that you can't put the book down. The steamy bits however... you'll want to read those juicy scenes with undivided attention.

TheLustyLiterate | Nov 1, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible