The Kiss Of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

The Kiss Of Deception

by Mary E. Pearson

Series (8)

English (48)  Dutch (1)  All (49)
Okay, so after complaining about love triangles as I have been known to do, I find one that turned itself (and me) on my ear!

The long story short is that a princess who doesn't wish to be wed runs, leaving her name and royal manners behind. Thinking that she's getting away with it... to good to be true, right? Yep, an assassin and her betrothed both know who SHE is, yet she has NO IDEA who THEY ARE... and neither do we! It was so much fun to try to figure out who was who in this twisty tale of double identities, so much so, that I didn't mind the love triangle...I know! The action and intrigue kept the story moving right along, I can't wait for the next one. So very well done, Ms. Pearson! Thank you for such an enjoyable read! ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
The start took a while to get into it's stride but once Lia and Pauline got into their stride and got to the town they settled in, things picked up, keeping the suspense of who was the prince and who was the assassin was interesting but it started to feel too much like authorial cleverness before it was revealed who was who. It was interesting to see how Lia grew and realised her responsibilities as well as her abilities, I think it will be interesting to see how this progresses. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 7, 2017 |
I wasn't overly impressed with this book but honestly I heard so much hype around it and so many misleading reviews that I don't think my expectations were realistic, therefore, I guess I kind of set myself up for disappointment. I heard that this book had an amazing plot twist and the author did such a phenomenal job deceiving her readers so I was totally looking forward to be deceived and that absolutely DID NOT happen (pouty face). The 'major plot twist' turned out to be relatively minor in the grand scheme of things and completely transparent, not to mention predictable. Maybe it appeared that way for me because I was expecting to be deceived and therefore over analyzing and over critical to what was going on, which is unfortunate because I like a good surprise plot twist as much of the next reader. Just a word to the wise...if you pick this book up based on all the hype, expecting epic deceit, prepare to be let down.

Having said that, this wasn't a bad book in it's own right, nor can it be blamed for the hype surrounding it, or for my disagreeing with other reviews. It was the average ya fantasy/romance novel. It certainly wasn't high fantasy, at least not so far in the series, but there were definitely some magical elements going on. This was a story about a princess, called Lia, who was betrothed to a prince from another kingdom whom she was to marry without ever having been introduced, for the sake of political alliance and peace between the two nations. However, she didn't agree with this idea so she ran away and went into hiding, living as a common peasant, meanwhile, the prince and an assassin hired to kill her are both tracking her, each with his own, very different, agenda.

My other major complaint with The Kiss of Deception is the ending. I thought it was so inconclusive that I cannot rate this higher than three stars because I am so aggravated! I knew this was book one in a series of at least three books so obviously I didn't expect everything to be wrapped up, cut and dried, at the end of the first book but I felt like the conclusion was so inconclusive that it doesn't feel like the book even ended and I got little to know satisfaction after reading nearly 500 pages! Not cool. I hope book two is an improvement because if it's any worse I won't be reading any further into The Remnant Chronicles. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |

JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 7, 2017 |
I'm torn on how I feel about this book. I loved parts and hated parts. It took me longer than normal to finish, but I still did. It was boring at times and others I was sucked in.

I liked being able to see the story within the Princess, the Prince, and the Assassins POV. During the first half of the book you are not sure who is the Prince and who is the Assassin.
I will say I have heard so many people talk about the plot twist, and I was expecting more than what it really was.

I also do not feel this was much of a love triangle. It is pretty clear the Princess had eyes for Rafe.

Overall, it was ok. The writing was beautiful but there was not much action. It dragged on a little too much but I want to know what happens. I will be teaching for book 2 soon. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Dec 30, 2016 |
For the boy who took a chance, For the man who made it last
Today was the day a thousand dreams would die and a single dream would be born

"On the morning of her wedding, Princess Lia flees to a distant village. She settles into a new life, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive--and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deception abounds, and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets--even as she finds herself falling in love"--… (more)

Mary E. Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible