The Cracks in the Kingdom: Book 2 of The…

The Cracks in the Kingdom: Book 2 of The Colors of Madeleine

by Jaclyn Moriarty

998122,024 (4)17

Delightfully whimsical
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
I don't know what to expect with these books, which makes reading them fun. Anything could happen.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
The sequel to A Corner of White, about two teenagers, Madeleine and Elliot who find a crack between their two worlds (in Cambridge, the World, and Bonfire, the Kingdom of Cello, respectively) which allows them to send letters to each other. In The Cracks in the Kingdom, they start treating the crack like a form of instant messaging, sneaking out at night and exchanging notes back and forwards. Elliot also becomes more aware about the state of affairs in Cello.

This story is unusual, gorgeously written, whimsical and witty. A tale of growing up, friendship and dealing with absent fathers. Peppered with fascinating facts about history of science and the science of colours. The heart of the story is in the characters and their relationships. I thought it was lovely and was enjoying it enormously.

AND THEN! And then, unexpectedly, the pieces suddenly start falling together! This was incredibly exciting and satisfying and unexpected.

... alright, it wasn't quite so unexpected, because after A Corner of White I was expecting there to be twists and unexpected developments. But suspecting that something unexpected might happen didn't mean I knew what that something would be, so it was still unexpected.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

He hadn't known that laughter could form an orchestra, but turned out you could play it liken instruments. They were playing one another's laughter, spinning it against walls, catching it and throwing it back. And then they were running, chasing the laughter, trailing it behind them. ( )
1 vote Herenya | Mar 28, 2016 |
Although there were several places in this book where I was wondering what the author was doing, I enjoyed this book overall. I am looking forward to the next one in the series. ( )
  writerfidora | Oct 26, 2015 |
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |

Hoping to bring back her father and the other missing royals of Cello, Princess Ko gathers a group of teens, each with a special ability, including Elliot, whose forbidden communications with Madeleine may be the key to traveling across worlds.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible