First Aide Medicine by Nicholaus Patnaude

First Aide Medicine

by Nicholaus Patnaude

I can see why so many reviews on this book, both here and on other sites, are relatively vague. It's a vague book. It's a hard one to pin down. It's metaphor, it's nonsense and it's poetry all in one. It is an interesting concept, and in places reminded me of Amelia Grey's "Threats" because it encapsulates a person going into insanity... either that or he ate some questionable mushrooms. Can't really tell. Unlike "Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" where the images carry you through a story, these rather simplistic drawings don't, in my opinion, do much for the story itself, but they are interesting at points. The cave drawings of a mad man, perhaps. I keep wanting to compare it to other books, but I can't think of a single book that can share its place in either genre or message. Worth the short time it took to read it. Not sure it will go down as a favorite, however. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I found this book difficult to read. I started it several times before I actually suck with it and read it through to the end. It is a strange story about a guy Jack, who works in a surf shop, and his girlfriend Karen, a lifeguard who is dead. Jack has a difficult time getting over her death, and this book delves into the myriad of reasons why. At times, I was not sure whether I was reading the thoughts of a man who had deep mental problems or was tripping out. The author obviously admires horror, as he inserts several character and episodes of horror throughout. However, though I got a feel for the characters, I never felt they were really fleshed out in the story. In fact, the story was also never really fleshed out. I could sort of feel the angst of Jack as I read, but I never got any feelings from the rest of the characters. It was interesting the way the author wove rape and its aftermath into the story, but could have been done more smoothly. Finally, I think the story is god, though there are some arts I would change or eliminate, but the book would probably have been better served if it was longer, so it would read more like a spooky, horror tale rather than just a barely expanded rough draft. I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Oct 12, 2013 |
Take Edgar Allen Poe's "The Black Cat" drop it a bowl of maggots with some sorrow and you'll have "First Aide Medicine"

"Once upon a time Old Man Manson gouged his kitty's eye out when it killed his arctic fox."

A tale about the dead that follows behind you and reminisces about the past of how it use to be. Before the funeral. The suicide that threw it all away, revenge must be taken.

Karen the beautiful life guard, her boyfriend who works at the surfboard shop reunite to seek revenge on Old Man Manson, who brought on the suicide.

If you read "Black Cat" by Edgar Allen Poe, you will remember the cat with the missing eye who comes back to life, Nick gives that concept a great twist and turns it into a great bizarro read. Fill with an interesting cast of characters ( )
  DonaldArmfield | Sep 5, 2013 |
published-2013, boo-scary, currently-reading, librarything-giveaway, summer-2013, shortstory-shortstories-novellas, young-adult, recreational-drugs, ghosties-ghoulies, suicide, noir, poetry, next
Recommended to Bettie by: Librarything
Read from August 26 to 29, 2013

Hmm, I thought this was going to be straight forward BOO!, yet reading through the premise it looks a little too out there for my usual taste. Nevertheless, I have been happily surprised on many an occasion.

for Johnny & Cabera

“Infected minds to their deaf pillows will discharge their secrets.” William Shakespeare

Opening: I want to burn down his house. I will. He used Karen. I can’t stomach that. He was older than piss and uglier than a worm. He lived just down the street with his lights on until late at night. He had an artic fox that turned blue in the summer. But then he had to gouge his kitty’s eye out when it killed his pretty blue Alopex lagopus one dreary midnight.

National Geographic photo of Artic Fox alopex lagopus

LATER: An extended prose poem featuring Jack, the narrator:'I have a decade on most of the high school kids who work here. They live with their parents too, but for them it’s more natural.'

...who is mourning Karen's suicide, even though she was hardly his girlfriend:'Karen would never understand if I told her all about those dates I’d arranged on the beach only to break and sabotage them ten minutes before they were to begin. I am not in a good enough place to commit.

...because she had an sexual relationship with an older man:'What do you see in her, old man? Why do all these antediluvian douche bags want to rip off her panties with their dentures?'

Interspersed with macabre doodles and vomit-inducing passages this Romeo and Juliet story is not something for me, yet I can see in it a great appeal to mid-teen hipster/ goth types, and that seems to be the niche Patnaude is aiming for. And my distaste is an endorsement to the good for this genre. ( )
  mimal | Aug 29, 2013 |
I really didn't care for this story. The story reads like a young man's psychotic break, his nightmares after the girl that he loves kills herself.

I found it confusing and hard to follow. Somewhat memories and somewhat nightmare. ( )
  Budda1114 | Aug 27, 2013 |

Jack worked at the surfboard shop, Karen was a lifeguard, and every night was perfect. And since teenage love destroyed by suicide is hard to get over, Jack simply holds on to his dead girlfriend. At first it is the long phone calls deep into the night, reliving the memories of drinking, black metal bands, the medicine…and the parties an old man named Manson would throw for teenagers at his creepy house on the hill. Then came the regular sightings of her corpse at the beach, and in his bed. Now in his mid-twenties, Jack experiences his best nightmare ever—the chance for revenge on Old Man Manson for murdering Karen! He reunites with Karen for a long journey through night, confronted by her parents, General Hook, the Ghost Witch, a woman in a gummy dress, an old man from a pricker bush, and a furry monster. Finally, with a list of 66 ways to punish and kill Old Man Manson, Jack confronts him in the dining room of a haunted hotel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Nicholaus Patnaude's book First Aide Medicine was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Nicholaus Patnaude is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,205,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible