Thumbprint by Jason Ciaramella

Thumbprint

by Jason Ciaramella (Adapter), Jason Ciaramella (Adapter), Jason Ciaramella (Adapter), Joe Hill (Concept creator)

For those who don't know - Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King.

Another short story by him and another good one. Quite a few great decently profound sentences. Touches on a gruesome subject - Abu Graib - and p[arts of the book aren't comfortable. Is the end a bit of a , nasty, parable? Unsure but definitely worth the hourish to read. ( )
  martinhughharvey | Feb 25, 2016 |
"You’d be surprised what you can do to people".

I haven’t read or watched a lot of fiction that has to do with war. I've only really seen a handful of movies and the majority of them paint soldiers in a glowing light. I’m not about to sit here and criticize those who put themselves directly in harm’s way on a daily basis – a job I could never find the balls to do myself – I’ll leave that to others; others like Joe Hill.

The bulk of this story follows Mal Greenfell, a soldier that returned from Iraq and is trying to adjust to life as a private citizen. Having died approximately ten hours before her arrival back in America, Mal’s father left her his home as well as his car.

Mal takes a job as a bartender and slowly realizes that she’s not the person she was when she ventured overseas, that her true self is who she is now – a careless and ruthless individual who isn't above violence and theft.

Following the arrival of a letter containing only a single fingerprint, Mal begins to question if someone is threatening her. Given Mal’s sordid past, she may have created several enemies.

Over the past year, I've become a pretty big supporter of Joe Hill having read his novel, Horns, as well as his awesome graphic novel series, Locke & Key. I thought this was pretty average; not bad but not on the level that he’s capable of. That being said, I thought it was paced well and had a decently satisfying conclusion. So a solid 3 stars.

**The above portion was taken from my review of the original short story. Below are my thoughts on the graphic novel adaptation.**

So I recently had the good fortune of reading the graphic novel adaptation by Vic Malhotra and Jason Ciaramella. Ciaramella has worked with Joe in the past, bringing his short story The Cape to life in a comic form. In my opinion, he knocked it out of the park, so a second collaboration was more than welcome.

Malhotra’s art is perfect for the story. Minimalist visuals coupled with drab and bleak colors paint the perfect picture of Mal’s post war world. The story moves along swiftly, keeping that frantic pace that enhances Mal’s growing paranoia as well as her search for the person responsible.

It’s a great mini-series compiled in a quick one shot graphic novel. Check it out! ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I haven't read the novella this is based on, nor have I read Joe Hill before this. I found this a nice introduction. This is not a horror story but more what I would call a thriller, perhaps psychological thriller. All the people and events form a realistic fiction story which is horribly unpleasant but not horror in its true sense. Mal is home from Iraq where she did things the army wouldn't want her to talk about. Now her bloody past comes back to haunt her and she finds herself on the other side for once. A dark, violent tale and I wouldn't mind reading the novella should it make its way to a published collection. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 25, 2013 |
Graphic novel. A traumatized vet who participated in the horrors of Abu Ghraib begins to receive ominous messages—thumbprints. She becomes paranoid, though of course someone really is out to get her. Psychological horror with a standard arc: doing monstrous things, as well as having monstrous things done to you, can drive you out of your mind. It didn’t really move me. ( )
  rivkat | Oct 7, 2013 |

Ciaramella, JasonAdapterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ciaramella, JasonAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ciaramella, JasonAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, JoeConcept creatormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

This is the Graphic Novel adaptation of the Joe Hill's short story. Please,  don't combine them.

Private Mallory Grennan had done terrible things as an Abu Ghraib prison worker. After being discharged from the army, Mal thought she was leaving her sins behind to start a new life back home. But some things can't be left behind -- some things don't want to be left behind.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,594,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible