Murder in Pigalle by Cara Black

Murder in Pigalle

by Cara Black

Recently added byprivate library, jkrzok, Marysville_Library, RinHanase, mikej, cctesttc1, MSZR, tarifederer, novunus

LeDuc une mère? Can't wait to see how this shakes out! ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
LeDuc une mère? Can't wait to see how this shakes out! ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
A breezy thriller/mystery set in Paris in 1998 during the World Cup. Aimee LeDuc, private investigator, tries to find a missing teenager as a serial rapist stalks the Pigalle quarter.

This is the first book of the Aimee LeDuc series I have read, and I was impressed. My one complaint is that I am not sure the author, Cara Black, plays fair with the mystery. I could not trace back the clues that led to the rapist, because many of them come rather late in the book. On the other hand, Ms. Black does a great job in capturing the spirit and feel of the City of Lights. This book is very much like a trip to Paris, with a few murders thrown in for entertainment.

I plan to read the rest of this series, but this time I will start at the beginning. ( )
  barlow304 | Jul 13, 2014 |
This was an enjoyable mystery, partly because it has a good fast-paced plot and partly because of the setting (Paris, what is there not to love?). Private Investigator Aimee Leduc has a lot on her mind. She is 5 months pregnant and hasn't even told her boyfriend that she is pregnant, let alone worked out how their relationship will change with a baby. She has to file and pay taxes, the weather is brutally hot, and everyone is crazy with World Cup Fever. But all these problems seem unimportant when there is a series of rapes of young teenage girls and the 13 year old daughter of Aimee's friend goes missing. This was a hard book to put down with a combination of good pacing and interesting characters, all interspersed with a bit of Parisian flair. Definitely fun! ( )
  jmoncton | May 21, 2014 |
Back in March (2014), mystery writers Rhys Bowen and Cara Black made an appearance at the Alhambra Civic Library for a panel discussion about their work. Hearing Black talk about her latest book, Murder in Pigalle, piqued my interest. I decided to give the fourteenth novel in her Aimée Léduc series a try.

The book is set in Quartier Pigalle, a district in Paris historically known for its wild nightlife – clubs, brothels, and the like. (Think Moulin Rouge…I mean literally. That’s where it’s located.) Private Investigator Aimée Léduc is pregnant and should be taking it easy, as her hormonal behavior proves, but she can’t stop worrying about her young friend Zazie. The thirteen-year-old was in the middle of her own investigation behind another girl’s sexual assault when she disappears. Aimée is convinced this is more than a mere coincidence even if the police are not, and finds herself on the trail of a serial rapist and murderer. The closer she gets, the more someone tries to shut her up.

Now when I read fiction, the most important thing to me is whether the story is engaging. A strong beginning and a heart-wrenching plot lured me in. Really, who can’t help but sympathize with Aimée’s desperation to find this dear girl? I finished Murder in Pigalle in about four days, a quick read for me especially since it was final exam week for my students. It delivered well on the excitement. However, the story seemed disjointed, fluttering from here to there. Although dead ends, false leads, and side plots make for a realistic story, in the end I felt like the really important characters weren’t given equal time. The final resolution seemed to come out of nowhere and was more than a little disappointing.

I also think Black could improve on how she portrays French people. The characters seemed too American, and used too many “Americanisms” in their dialogue. (Do Europeans really ever say “Eurotrash”?) The history lessons felt like an attempt to cover up the missing presence of a distinctive culture. The insertion of random French words, although nowhere near as obnoxious Etiquette Grrls’ habit, didn’t add the authenticity that I suspect the author was going for. When I read authors like Agatha Christie and Alexander McCall Smith (of No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency fame), I really feel as if I’m in a different time and place. With Murder in Pigalle, I never once felt as though I were in France, and the promise of that experience had been part of its initial attraction for me.

As for the main characters, I’m entering the series so late in the game, so I don’t have the benefit of knowing their past histories that might make sense of their behavior at times. Aimée Léduc seems to be a great PI. She’s adventurous and willing to risk her own neck (not to mention her unborn child) to solve this case. She reminds me of Nora Charles (of The Thin Man) walking around with a prop dog, although her infatuation with designer labels gives her a lot less class. What bugs me about Aimée Léduc is that for her “the ends justify the means.” That is, breaking the law herself is okay if it means convicting her suspect or saving her own skin. Her selfishness is evident in how she actively shuts out her baby’s father, who’s clearly interested in having a relationship with the child. Instead she eats up the slavish devotion of her business partner René Friant, who seems to be more of a liability than an asset for her detective agency.

Let me psychoanalyze for a bit. René’s short stature and inability to bed the heroine makes him envious of other men blessed with good looks and active sex lives. SPOILER ALERT: His eagerness to play the hero, protecting the helpless female population from sexual predators, leads him to threaten and attack an innocent man rather than carefully questioning him first. Things get even worse when René meets the actual rapist. It should be common knowledge that, when someone has effectively been “taken out” and is no longer a threat, it’s cruel and excessive to continue to apply force. René kicks the subdued suspect…in the groin…twice. Clearly he has serious problems where his masculinity is concerned.

Where does this leave Murder in Pigalle? Well, it well-represents its genre: a fun mystery novel to curl up with at night. I was able to enjoy the story because I just accepted the characters for who they were, flaws and all. While I don’t see myself becoming a fan of the series, I might be willing to pick up another volume sometime just because I feel like it. ( )
  AnnetteOC | May 14, 2014 |
Parisian private detective Aimée Leduc is back — she of the snappy Vespa scooter and excellent fashion sense, not to mention the ability to drink any other espresso fanatic under the table...The Leduc series might not as be deeply atmospheric as some crime fiction set in Paris (Alan Furst’s historical espionage comes to mind). But Leduc is a refreshing and entertaining guide to Parisian neighborhoods and cultures, especially those that well-established tourist routes typically pass by. Let’s hope she never runs out of districts to scoot around in.

Nothing weighs on us so heavily as a secret.
- Jean de La Fontaine
For my mother and the ghosts.
Stepping into the shadowed cool of Passage Verdeau, Aimee Leduc welcomed the reprieve from the late-June heat - but not the barrel of the Uzi blocking her way.

"June, 1998: Paris's sticky summer heat is even more oppressive than usual as rowdy French football fans riot in anticipation of the World Cup. Private Investigator Aimee Leduc has been trying to slow down her hectic lifestyle, take on only computer security assignments, and maybe try to learn how to cook (quelle catastrophe!). She's vowed not to let herself get involved in any more dangerous shenanigans--she's five months' pregnant and has the baby's wellbeing to think about now, too. But all of her best intentions to live the quiet life fall away when disaster strikes close to home. A serial rapist has been terrorizing Paris's Pigalle neighborhood, following teenage girls home from junior high school and attacking them in their own houses. It is sad and frightening but has nothing to do with Aimee--until Zazie, the 14-year-old daughter of the proprietor of Aimee's favorite cafe, disappears. The police aren't mobilizing quickly enough and when Zazie's desperate parents approach Aimee for help, she knows she couldn't say no even if she wanted to. In the frantic race against time that ensues, Aimee discovers a terrifying secret neighborhood history that will leave lives in the whole quartier upended. Inspired by a true crime story of a serial killer whowreaked havoc on Paris in the summer of 1998, Cara Black's fourteenth Aimee Leduc mystery is a thrilling follow-up to her 2013 New York Times bestseller, Murder Below Montparnasse"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible