Bear Heart (Klawdia, Book #1) by K. J. Colt

Bear Heart (Klawdia, Book #1)

by K. J. Colt

Series: Klawdia (1)

This story is suited for a older teenager and is well written. A adult would have a little trouble with some of the unrealistic events. I enjoyed the book. ( )
  HeatherBennett32 | May 13, 2014 |
I received a copy of this book as part of LibraryThing Member Giveaway program. Though the story line is similar to Hunger Games, the adventures of Klawdia makes it an enjoyable read. Hope to enjoy the next book of the series as well. ( )
  shemu | May 7, 2014 |
Since Klawdia was a daughter of the tribal leader, she had to win a competition against 4 male participants. It was very important for her to be the winner because her family (The Bears) had ruled for many years.
This fantasy e book was fast paced and quite a page turner. Once I started reading, there was no way I could stop plus wanting more! Looking forward to Book II. Thank you for introducing me to "Klawdia"! ( )
  lubazuck | Apr 28, 2014 |
I found the book to be a fairly quick and interesting read overall. I wanted to like the story with its presumably gutsy and strong-willed female lead. Instead I found her to be more of an insipid ingenue, too naive to recognize or anticipate the scheming nature of a boy she had grown up with that was a challenger to her potential rule. When it is pointed out to her that she is essentially a spoiled brat that gets everything she wants without having to work for it, I thought "Hooray! Finally! Maybe she will stop being emotionally so passive." While Klawdia does seem to have a certain amount of stubborn pride, I felt that her character needed a little more fleshing out to support the complex issues she was dealing with. All the other characters were in need of a little more character development as well, as they seemed very one-dimensional and there simply to provide background color and narrative.

This novella seems to be geared towards a Young Adult audience, although I question the inclusion of the scenes dealing with sex and an unplanned pregnancy and discussions of abortion for some young readers. I would love to see this story re-written and the characters and story given more depth for a more adult audience - I would probably enjoy it more then. I also found the first half of the story to be lacking in a good frame of reference for how much time was passing during her challenge in the woods. I was under the impression that it was two or three days instead of the week and a half described upon the heroine's return to her tribe. This seemed to continue through the story, unfortunately. I would also have liked to see the background information on the realm and the political struggles with neighboring groups and the Queens earlier in the story, rather than at the end.

Overall I was rather disappointed in the story. While it was pretty well written, it just did not give me (as an adult reader) enough character and story development to want to read more. ( )
  bluelotus28 | Apr 15, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

K. J. Colt's book Bear Heart (Book #1 in the Klawdia Series) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

K. J. Colt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible