Hunting Shadows by Charles Todd

While I enjoyed this Inspector Ian Rutledge book I have enjoyed previous ones more. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Ahhhhhh this one was good! And tied up some loose ends! And didn't race to the ending!!! Ahhhh happy I am tonight! ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
Not my cup of Earl Grey.
  ChrisNewton | Mar 18, 2016 |
A satisfying mystery in the continuing series of Inspector Rutledge of Scotland Yard, surviving after service in WWI, with the on-going presence of Hamish, commenting in the back of his head. Murders in the Fen country. Great sense of place and time and a good mystery to solve. 4.5 stars. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
HUNTING SHADOWS bored me, and I finished reading it only because it was a book group choice and I will be leading the group this month.

If you've never read Charles Todd, as I hadn't, I would not suggest you start with this book, number 16 in a series. My friend started with number 1 and liked it. Perhaps it would have made a difference if I had read the series in order, but number 16 bored me so much that I don't want to read anymore of Todd's books.

The setting is various cities in England in 1920, shortly after World War I. Two murders and one attempted murder have occurred, and Scotland Yard's Inspector Ian Rutledge has been brought into the investigation. So we follow Rutledge (along with Hamish, who is never adequately explained in this 16th book in the series) as he tries to solve the murders, which seem to all be committed by one person.

But Rutledge encounters many suspects and many other characters along the way. It may be a trick for you to remember them all. Also, you will have to pay close attention to seemingly unimportant comments Rutledge makes early in the story; late in the book, he discovers what he wondered way back then.

This may be more interesting if you read the previous 15 books in the series first. ( )
  techeditor | Aug 3, 2015 |
Todd (the pen name of a mother-son writing team) has rarely been better.
added by mysterymax | editPublisher's Weekly (Dec 2, 2013)

For Robin Hathaway, author of the Dr. Fenimore series, the Dr. Jo Banks series, and countless short stories.

Robin was a voracious reader, had an eclectic library that filled three houses, and possessed one of the most creative minds we've ever come across.  She had plots and stories yet untold, and a love of the written word that was deep and abiding.  And she was a good friend, something that was very precious to a great many people, including us...What she didn't have was Time.

Here's to the Chrysler Building, Robin.  And all that it stood for.
The Fen Country, Cambridgeshire, August 1920

He read the telegram with dismay, and a second time with a heavy sense of loss.

"A man is murdered at a society wedding held at Ely Cathedral, and the local police are mystified. In the end, they send for Scotland Yard, but not before another man is killed. This time, there's a witness, but her description of the killer is so strange that no one believes her. So it's Scotland Yard Inspector Ian Rutledge's task to find out who the murderer is and why he has set out on this killing spree, because there is another death, and the three victims are so different that there is no rhyme or reason to their deaths. Nothing logically can connect them. Even as Rutledge begins to close in on the perpetrator, he finds himself doubting his own judgment because the facts are contradictory. It isn't until the fourth murder that something Rutledge witnessed in the war gives him the key and brings back an episode he has tried to forget. But that leaves him with a moral dilemma with only one solution. Will he follow the letter - or the spirit - of the law?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible