The Monkey's Paw [short story] by W. W.…

The Monkey's Paw [short story]

by W. W. Jacobs

Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King (OneMorePage)
    OneMorePage: Both have a story that has objects that grant wishes. Mentioned in the novella.

Quite predictable ( )
  Firewild | Jan 3, 2019 |
I’ve always liked reading The Monkey’s Paw. It’s not your typical horror story and leaves the main cause of the readers uneasiness to their imagination. ( )
  Arkrayder | Feb 10, 2018 |
The definitive tale of wishes gone wrong. Strong, but not as scary as I'd remembered it, somehow. (I didn't recall there being so much forethought about what state the son might be in when he returned.)
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
You probably already know this story. A monkey's paw that can grant wishes but always at a horrible cost. Unfortunately, I can’t write any kind of synopsis without totally spoiling the story. In any case, it is a classic and highly influential supernatural horror story. If you are familiar with Stephen King’s much more horrifying [b: Pet Sematary|10583|Pet Sematary|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1308894674s/10583.jpg|150017] you will probably find that The Monkey's Paw is its direct inspiration.

Certainly The Monkey's Paw is a great little story but not particularly scary for today’s sensibilities. The hint at something unspeakable lurking behind a closed door just does not work anymore, to be honest, it never worked for me to begin with. If you got it flaunt it. For me, the (anti)climax of the story is a bit of a cop out. The author should have gone all the way and show us some messed up monstrosity that will drive the reader insane just from the description, but he pulled back at the last minute.

Still, it’s a nice and quick read with some good spooky atmosphere. An OK Halloween read I think. It probably seems terrifying a century ago.

Note
If you like spooky stories about wishes gone wrong check out Robert Louis Stevenson’s excellent The Bottle Imp. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
One of the top ten short stories I've ever read. The effect lingers long after the reading. ( )
  Kaethe | Mar 29, 2013 |
This entry is for the short story: 'The Monkey's Paw'. Please do not combine with collections which have similar names. If in doubt when combining please press cancel below.

The Monkey's Paw

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

A mummified monkey's paw carrying a spell grants three wishes to each of its owners and fulfills them in unexpected and terrible ways. Includes an analysis of the story and a biography of the author.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,130,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible