My Dear Watson by L. A. Fields

My Dear Watson

by L. A. Fields

111820,536 (3)None

~ ~ ~

[I should disclose my familiarity with Sherlock Holmes. I am not an aficionado, not even an avid reader, but I would consider myself something of a novice with interest. I have read a few of the more well known books.]

A commendable undertaking, penetrating the classic Sherlock Holmes mysteries to prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt, the "true" nature of the relationship between Holmes and Dr. Watson. I will never again think of their relationship in any way other than how it was put forth here. Ms. Fields convinced me completely of the truth of the matter and I feel fulfilled for understanding that truth.

THE CHARACTERS

What was it about Holmes—razor-tongued, ego-chocked, hard-hearted Holmes—that made living with him so much more worth it? What was it about the tension and drama of Baker Street that was so irresistible?

Sherlock Holmes - Hard-hearted is an apt description. We meet Holmes as a young college man, already confident, cocky and steps ahead of everyone. Can this machine ever crack?

Dr. John Watson - Charming, calm, thoughtful, brave and romantic. He sees something in Holmes that everyone else must miss.

Mrs. Watson II - Clever, insightful and patient. She is a modern woman who loves her husband despite his interests. She's admirable and pitiful, but I couldn't help stepping into her shoes.

While I find Holmes an insufferable bastard, I ache for Watson. While I sympathize with Mrs. Watson, I long for Holmes and Watson to settle. While I glimpse the famous cases, I learn about true mysteries of the heart and mind. To read this book is to journey through the familiar and, for me, other unknown cases where once dark corners are illuminated with new light.

They are embracing each other tightly, blissfully, as if they’ve been a lifetime away from one another. I don’t believe I am jealous—I’m a modern woman, and I knew of my husband’s flexible nature before I married him—but I am rather dstabilized by this scene. They just look so desperately happy to be holding one another. It’s touching, but it touches one awfully hard.

THE WRITING

Ms. Fields has clearly expended great amounts of energy and research to put together this detailed narrative. You’ll find a convincing presentation of the facts as well as interesting commentary on real historical events which affected their relationship. Her usage of poetic prose and innuendo seems very in keeping with the tone of the period. At times, the retelling became repetitive and I found myself wanting more dialog between Holmes and Watson. Alas, that may not be possible given their unique relationship. Nonetheless, something could have been gained by coming to the point more quickly. This is to say that I was convinced by the proof Ms. Fields presented early on, but felt I was slogging through the middle needlessly. The final third, however, found me hard pressed to lay the book down.

I was angry at Holmes. Crying for Watson and laughing at the lame criminal element that Holmes toyed with ruthlessly. The sexual relationship between Holmes and Watson is only alluded to, but there are delightful moments of tension and tenderness that portray a very clear picture of their intimacy. For me, someone who enjoys romance, this feels like an element missing from the classic stories has been restored.

I would highly recommend this to readers with at least a basic understanding of some of the more well known cases. Especially if you would like a deeper, more meaningful connection to Holmes and Watson.

He is rather infectious, Sherlock Holmes. A dark and glamourous thing.

~ ~ ~

I would like to thank Lethe Press for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editPrism Book Alliance, Ulysses (Jun 10, 2014)

L. A. Fields is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible