Buzz: A Thriller by Anders De la Motte

Buzz: A Thriller

by Anders De la Motte

Series: The Game Trilogy (2)

English (10)  Finnish (1)  All (11)
Game and Buzz are the first two books in a three book thriller series by Swedish author Anders de la Motte.

In Game, the first installment, we meet Henrik “HP” Pettersson and his sister Rebecca Normén. HP is an aimless loser while Rebecca is a bodyguard with the Swedish Security Police. When HP acquires a cell phone left behind on a train, the mysterious device keeps asking him if he wants to play a game. He was just going to sell the thing for some quick cash, but when it asks him by name to play the game, he decides to give the game a try. He becomes embroiled in a game that is wide spread, more vicious than he could have ever anticipated, and more profitable if he is willing to take big risks. When HP decides to play this most dangerous game where his every move seems to be watched, he inadvertently gets his sister involved.

In Buzz HP was on the run for four months after the events in Game, but a set-up and circumstances force him back to Sweden where, in order to investigate why he was targeted overseas (and to see if it was part of the Game), he gets a job by masquerading as someone else. In the meantime Rebecca is facing trumped up charges and is suspended from the security Police. While she's waiting for the investigation to be completed a cop-blogger seems to be targeting her for a fall.

In both Game and Buzz there are many references to social media and how it can be (or is) used for nefarious purposes or at least for influencing and trying to sway public opinion in a targeted direction. While they were interesting and at times quite thrilling, for me, at least, it felt like something was lost in the translation from the original. The whole narrative in both books just switches back and forth from HP to Rebecca with no indication of a transition. I got used to it over two books but it also diminished much of the potential enjoyment of the series.

Honestly, I found HP grating and annoying, while, basically, I liked Rebecca. Over time HP redeemed himself slightly above annoying in Game and into Buzz, but then I just grew tired of him and Rebecca - not a good sign. My lack of empathy with the characters coupled with the lack of transitions did not bode well for me overlooking the language and unattractive actions of the characters. While there were some interesting ideas, in the end both books amounted to a so-so read for me.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Atria/Emily Bestler Books via Netgalley for review purposes. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
Just like book 1 of the series, tremendously entertaining, but you have to suspend disbelief. It races on at a terrific pace, twisting and turning in all sorts of directions. I think that the writing is a bit better in this book, perhaps because the events are a bit less fantastic. I love a god comic, which is what this is, only rendered in text. I purchased book 3 immediately after I finished this one and will read it in the next month! ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
A decent follow up to the first book but once again it has that same maddening habit of cutting away form each character just as you are being involved.

This is Game but on a bigger scale and looks at the internet and social interaction. It looks at trolling and how commenters online can steer a conversation one way or another and the fact that 90% of these profiles are fake and just designed to get an opinion out there, and support it. You'll never look at the comments section the same way again. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
This is the 2nd book in the "Game" trilogy and is a digression from the first as instead of playing the "Game", the slacker Henrik (known as HP) instead infiltrates an internet p.r. firm which manipulates public opinion behind the scenes based on their client's wishes using departments such as "trolls" with long-time backstory personas cultivated over years of online interaction. This is intriguing in itself but the often hapless Henrik is such an anti-hero and juvenile (although I think he meant to be in his late 20's) that I find that I can't really buy into it completely. It was the same issue with the first book.

Meanwhile his sister Rebecca also continues in her often mis-judged associations as the counter-point to Henric's misadventures. It makes for a certain compulsive read as the storylines ping-pong back and forth several times just in the course of each chapter, but you're just not quite satisfied at the end when things seem to miraculously come together. I'll still probably read the 3rd one though. ( )
  alanteder | Jul 22, 2014 |
The second in the Game trilogy, Buzz deals more with HP and his sister Rebecca, more than it does the game. HP, after hiding out when a woman he meets is murdered and he is blamed, he goes back to Sweden to uncover the truth and to see if this is still all about the game. Meanwhile, Rebecca is being harassed online by a mysterious blogger. Although, unknown to Rebecca that her brother is back home, their paths cross in the most sister ways.

It starts out slow and is more in depth with character building than the faced-paced action filled game of the first novel; this one really deals with how the Internet and people behind it can manipulate the masses. Not as exciting as the first, but it is thought-provoking. ( )
  grumpydan | Apr 18, 2014 |

Anders De la Motteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, NeilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

It's been four months since HP Pettersson was dragged into a ruthless Alternate Reality Game that nearly cost him his life. Although he now has everything he ever wished for--freedom, money, and no responsibilities--he isn't satisfied. He's plagued by insomnia and paranoia, and misses the adrenaline rush of the Game. He misses the attention. At times, he even hopes the Game Master will find him. And when HP catches the eye of a rich and powerful CEO for all the wrong reasons, he may get his wish. But he quickly learns that sometimes, you have to be careful what you wish for...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,694,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible