Blood Money by Erika Mitchell

Blood Money

by Erika Mitchell

511,436,638 (3)None

See more reviews on The Best Books Ever!

Blood Money is a fast-paced story following Azzam after he is outed as an informer for the CIA on his employer's shadowy dealings in financing and supplying weapons for acts of terror across the world. Azzam, who knew this day would come eventually, has to flee, but his old boss isn't going to let him get away so easily. Along the way, we meet a diverse cast of characters, including a multi-national group of mercenaries tasked with identifying the mole in Sun Corp's operations. Everyone in the story gets a little bit of backstory, so they're not just Nameless Bad Guys #1-6 or anything. It makes it easier to keep the many characters straight, and also makes the minor characters more memorable.

There were a few plot twists in here that I was not expecting, especially a big reveal towards the end that surprised me and made me go back and see certain scenes from earlier in the story in a different light. There's a lot of foreshadowing and little hints as to the bigger picture in this story, but I definitely did not put the clues together until the end.

This was definitely a book that I could envision as a movie. It has some pretty cool global settings, takes place over a very short period of time, and is constantly on the move. I finished the book way quicker than I had expected, because it was really hard to put down! I definitely wanted to keep reading to find out how everything was going to end.

In places, I did find the writing to be a bit clunky, and the police procedural end of it didn't feel that realistic to me, but it didn't really spoil the story for me, as the plot as a whole was very engaging. The human aspect of the story -- the slow reveals about Azzam's past, for example -- worked very well for me. The author has an engaging, easy to read style, and I look forward to reading more from her in the future. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,549,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible