Cosmic Slop by Funkadelic

Cosmic Slop

by Funkadelic

411,664,912NoneNone

Product Details

* Audio CD (July 7, 1991)
* Number of Discs: 1
* Label: Westbound Records
* Catalog Number: 2022
* ASIN: B000001TVJ
* Also Available in: Audio Cassette
* Average Customer Review: based on 14 reviews. (Write a review.)
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #23,699 in Music (See Top Sellers in Music)
Yesterday: #24,497 in Music

Listen to Samples
To hear a song sample, click on "Listen" by that sample. Visit our audio help page for more information.
Windows Media RealOne Player
6. No Compute Listen
7. This Broken Heart Listen
8. Trash A-Go-Go Listen
9. Can't Stand The Strain Listen
Tag this product (What's this?)

Your tags: Add your first tag
Spotlight Reviews
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Search Customer Reviews

28 of 28 people found the following review helpful:
A Tragedy of Funkadelic Proportions, August 22, 2002
Reviewer: Jason Robey "horakhti" (Silver Spring, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Between 1970 and 1975 Funkadelic released seven albums on the Westbound record label. All of them are essential. The fifth album, 1973's "Cosmic Slop", is as strong, soulful and funky as any other from this seminal period.

That "Cosmic Slop" didn't end up a cosmic flop is a testament to George Clinton's unparalleled skill as a producer. In 1972, after the release of "America Eats Its Young", things were falling apart for Funkadelic. Ace lead guitarist Eddie Hazel was incarcerated for drug possession and assault, bassist Billy Nelson quit and rhythm guitarist Lucius Ross overdosed on LSD and speed, leaving him incapacitated. Funkadelic essentially lost three of its founding members right before recording for "Cosmic Slop" began.

Funkadelic, though technically a group, was essentially a George Clinton "thang." Determined to make "Cosmic Slop" Clinton reincarnated the band. Nelson and Ross, though founding members, proved dispensable. Hazel was missed (but will return on later albums.) Gary Shider, a guitar virtuoso in his own right, takes his lead, contributing incredible, soulful vocals as well. And keyboardist Bernie Worrell comes into his own. In fact, a cobbled together Funkadelic proved as solid and formidable as any previous incarnation.

"Cosmic Slop" is brimming with classic P-funk essentials. "Nappy Dugout", replete with whistles and duck calls, starts the album in typical Funkadelic style. "You Can't Miss..." sounds like a lost "Maggot Brain" single (a good thing.) "March to the Witch's Castle" is, in my opinion, the saddest, darkest, most honest song ever written about the Vietnam War. (A masterpiece maybe?) "Let's Make It Last" is transcendent and soulful. "Cosmic Slop" is a classic, 'nuff said. "No Compute" sounds like, well, country-funk. The raunchy lyrics about a one-night stand are hilarious. "This Broken Heart" is a heartfelt cover of an old doo-wop number with a hysterical interlude. "Trash A-Go-Go" is a funked-out guitar jam, possibly the funkiest moment on the album. "Can't Stand the Strain" is a joyful Motownish number... Joyful, that is, until the lyrics sink in.

Lyrically "Cosmic Slop" tends to be a sad, bluesy album. Half of the songs are traditional soul tunes about love and heartache. The others deal with war, prostitution and drugs. Even though at times the lyrics are funny, there's a tragic quality to them overall.

Musically it's a soulful, funky, yet brazenly psychedelic album. Funkadelic stands for psychedelic funk, which is what you get on "Cosmic Slop." This album has little in common with late-70s disco-influenced Parliament and Funkadelic albums, like P's "The Mothership Connection" or F's "One Nation Under a Groove." Rather, think Sly Stone and Jimi Hendrix on acid and you're close.

Hope this helped. Funk on.

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this)

7 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
A CULT FAVORITE, February 24, 2000
Reviewer: Tony_Tone (Washington, D.C., District of Columbia United States) - See all my reviews
This has to be one of the most underated Funkadelic albums never gained any real chart status when was released in '73.. but this is still one of the most interesting albums they have put out dealing with such issues drug addiction ( Trash - A- GO-GO) a brutual rock track.. the very eerie vibe of March to the Witch Castle a recount of Viet War.. to the 70's soul of You cant miss what you measure.. To the slice of life every day hustle of Comsic Slop.. this is a great album.. Have to put this on the list of their best albums.. PICK IT UP REAL FUNK FANS

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this)

Customer Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

Raw and WILD Funk That Last, February 20, 2006
Reviewer: Andre S. Grindle "Andre' Grindle" (Dennysville Maine) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
'Cosmic Slop' was the first Funkadelic CD I ever purchased.I was 16 and well aclimated to Parliamnt and George Clinton's solo album 'You Should'nt've Bit Fish'.The minute I laid eyes on this artwork I knew I was in for a funky good time.But was I ever underestimating things.The minute I started this up in my old Sony portable disk player 'Nappy Dugout' blew me away with it's raw,rhythmic funkiness.This album in particular (and the opener) owes alot of 'Payback'-period James Brown and the first school of funk-with Clinton's acid rock twists.Especially on "Trash A Go Go' Funkadelic give creedence to their name as one of the first all African American rock band.But funk is a premium and they never EVER water it down.One the rocking title cut and "You Can't Miss What You Can't Measure' the band push forward with honesty and great social insights into how the black community feels internaly.Kind of like James Brown and Sly Stone blended together for the black power movement.Those with an open mind to raw honesty and wisdom will not only be able to get this music but can boogie to it too.On "March Of The Witches Castle" George Clinton delivers one of his patended elder wiseman dialogs he is so good at.And Eddie Hazel is a GENIOUS on guitar-only recently accepted as such in the rock world next to Hendrix,Santana,Tommy Bolin and all other acid-rock funk guitar gods.The reality of life for African American's living in urban area's circa 1973 could be very unpleasant and these guys aren't about to lie about it but the story will be told on the booty shaking funky dancefloor if they had anything to do with it.After hearing this and coming to this realization I dug up all the other Funkadelic CD's-all of which are excellent.Even my own dad (from that generation and the man who introduced me to George Clinton) found the music terrific and the lyrics...well in his case drolly humorous however I took every word they said as honest (if sometimes twisted) truth and can be one of the few Funkadelic listeners who get the point of not only the music but the liberating concept.
  pantufla | Feb 27, 2006 |

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,295,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible