My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories by…

My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories

by David Lebovitz

You should be able to read a good cookbook like you would read a good novel. And this is a very good cookbook, David Lebovitz not only hands down great recipes, but he also hands down great stories about food markets, Parisian kitchens, and a mini history of French cuisine along with them. I read this while on vacation in Paris so it enhanced the enjoyment of my trip and what I ate while I was there. ( )
  etxgardener | May 13, 2016 |
I am a big fan of cookbooks, well…all books actually, but cookbooks are always in my top five on my reading list. Picking up a cookbook I can happily sit and skim over the recipes and photos, enjoying the occasional personal remark introducing a particular recipe.

My Paris Kitchen is in a special category. It’s not just a compendium of recipes and photos, it’s a story line about where to shop in Paris, narratives of merchants and the conversations they have with their customers. It’s a memoir of cooking, shopping and living in Paris. The book is filled with colorful photographs of the city and of course, the yummy dishes Lebovitz prepared.

Like many of Lebovitz’s fans I follow him on Twitter and read his blog. He was quite kind in taking the time to respond to a comment to me on Twitter. A photo with a batch of lovely Madelines was posted and I remarked that I was disappointed mine came out burnt on the edges. He let me know Madelines aren’t always an easy concoction and answered a question. That was quite nice as I imagine he is inundated with requests and comments.

If you are a Francophile or you love David Lebovitz or you just enjoy looking through an excellent cookbook, this book won’t disappoint.

The first recipe I tried from this book was the eggplant caviar. We were having grilled lamb so eggplant was a natural as a side dip.

Prepare a cookie sheet by covering with a piece of parchment paper, lightly oil with olive oil and liberally salt the oiled paper.

Take a globe eggplant puncture the skin all over. Now roast the whole uncut eggplant over direct flame for about 5 minutes. The longer you keep it over a flame the smokier your end result will be.

Cut the ends off the eggplant and place on a cookie sheet, cut side down into the oil.
Roast at 375 F for 30 to 40 minutes, until eggplant is soft.

Scrape eggplant pulp out of skin and place in a food processor. Add a ½ tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon, salt and pepper, smoked paprika and a few garlic cloves. Pulse until almost smooth. I added a bit too much lemon and so my mixture was smoother than called for. But it was good! ( )
  SquirrelHead | Aug 4, 2014 |
David Lebovitz is an American in Paris. Not the novelist or jazz musician of days past, soaking up booze in dim bars, Mr. Lebovitz is a chef, cookbook author and food blogger, soaking up the smells and tastes of the new, multi-cultural Paris.

This book celebrates the changes in the Parisian approach to food brought on by decades of globalization and the ways that these new cultural sensibilities affect the way Mr. Lebovitz cooks at home. I have no affinity for Paris and the book will appeal to some readers much more than it did to me. I found the recipes normal, and thus uninteresting. It is nice, though, to find a recipe for harissa from someone I think I can trust.

I received an advance review copy of My Paris Kitchen by David Lebovitz (Ten Speed Press) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Mar 31, 2014 |
At first a book about an American pastry chef that leaves the Bay area for the Paris with his cast iron skillet and cookbooks might seem stodgy and ordinary. This book took French cooking to a new level and is the prefect book to sit down in a comfy chair to devour the stories with chuckles and intrigue while being entertained with great stories, information and recipes. This book would make a very fine addition to anyone’s cookbook collection. ( )
1 vote Lakenvelder | Mar 14, 2014 |

"A collection of stories and 100 sweet and savory French-inspired recipes from Chez Panisse pastry chef turned popular food blogger David Lebovitz, reflecting the way modern Parisians eat today and featuring lush photography taken around Paris and in David's Parisian kitchen. French cooking has come a long way since the days of Escoffier. The culinary culture of France has changed and the current generation of French cooks, most notably in Paris, are incorporating ingredients and techniques from around the world. In My Paris Kitchen, David Lebovitz remasters the French classics, introduces lesser known French fare, and presents 100 recipes using ingredients foraged in the ethnic neighborhoods of Paris. Stories told in David's trademark style describe the quirks, trials, and joys of cooking, shopping, and eating in France, while food and location photographs reveal modern life in Paris"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,990,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible