Speak Easy: Temptation is everywhere. by…

Speak Easy: Temptation is everywhere.

by Melanie Harlow

Sweet little Tiny proves to be bigger than life!
Set during the end of the depression and the heart of prohibition, sweet petite Tiny O’Mara is laden with the responsibility of the household, the family store and bootlegging for her father. Tiny’s dream in life is to live on her own and go to school and become a nurse. Every spare dime she makes adds to her nest egg to pay for school. But life has a way of throwing a wrench into our dreams, and her wrench was bigger than her. Tiny’s dad maybe a good bootlegger, but he is a lousy gambler and owes quite a bit of money to Angel DiFiore. Only Tiny can save his life, she needs $10,000 in one week to do so.

Angel’s son, the mysterious and handsome Enzo DiFiore, has been coming around the store often lately, not knowing who he is, Tiny refers to this hansom mysterious man as “The Sheik”. Joey Lupo has been a thorn in her side her entire life, but on the whole, is a good person caring deeply for Tiny’s family. She needs both men to save her father. But who can she trust, and who will win her heart.

I enjoy historical fiction, suspense, strong female characters and a whole bunchy of yummy activity. This book exceeded what I had hoped. I felt like I was in the middle of the action, like I was Tiny. I lost several hours of good sleep because I did not want to put my Kindle down. So good, that 30 seconds after I finished this book, I purchased the second book in the series, “Speak Low”.

This is not a book you want your kids to have access to. The crime scenes are not that gory but there are several steamy situations that left my eyes wide open and looking for more. ( )
  CarolTilson | Feb 15, 2014 |
This was such a good book. I've come across so many novels attempting to portray gang rivalries and mafia bosses, and they all fall pretty flat, but this was fantastic. The setting was great, the characters kept my interest (some more than others), and the plot was something that I (for the most part) could realistically see happening. There were parts that felt a little rushed and sparse near the end, and bits that I thought could have been written better, but overall this was a really fantastic book. I've spent the last few nights up past 3am with my eyes glued to this book, anxiously devouring the pages. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.

Highly recommended.

4.5 stars. ( )
  frozenplums | Jan 6, 2014 |

The 1920s are roaring, and twenty-year-old Tiny O'Mara wants to be a part of it. By day she works for her father’s small-time bootlegging operation, by night she craves the sexy roll-your-stockings-down lifestyle of a flapper—until her father is kidnapped by a mobster in Detroit's exploding organized crime scene, and it’s Tiny who has to come up with the ten-thousand-dollar ransom... in one week. Suddenly she’s thrust into an intoxicating underworld of greed, lust, lies, and betrayal. Enzo DiFiore is the son of the mobster holding her father hostage, but his sexy screen idol looks and dangerous charm leave her breathless. When the forbidden spark between them refuses to burn out, she tries to use their powerful chemistry to buy more time. And irritatingly handsome childhood pal Joey Lupo has the street smarts Tiny needs to make a quick ten grand, but he’s got his own agenda where gang rivalries are concerned. Deciding whom to trust isn't easy in a world where everyone wants something—be it booze, money, power, or sex—and no one cares what it takes to get it. Temptation is everywhere. And anything goes. **Due to mature material, this New Adult historical is recommended for ages 17+

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,584,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible