Dark Road Home (Edge of Freedom) (Volume 2)…

Dark Road Home (Edge of Freedom) (Volume 2)

by Elizabeth Ludwig

Dark Road Home (Edge of Freedom)
Elizabeth Ludwig

Book Summary: Ana Kavanagh's only memories of home are of fire and pain. As a girl she was the only survivor of a terrible blaze, and years later she still struggles with her anger at God for letting it happen. At a nearby parish she meets and finds a kindred spirit in Eoghan Hamilton, who is struggling with his own anger--his sister, Cara, betrayed him by falling in love with one of his enemies. Cast aside by everyone, Eoghan longs to rejoin the Fenians, a shadowy organization pushing for change back in Ireland. But gaining their trust requires doing some favors--all of which seem to lead back to Ana. Who is she and who is searching for her? As dark secrets from Ana's past begin to come to light, Eoghan must choose which road to follow--and where to finally place his trust.

Review: I really enjoyed this book. The story line was enjoyable and the suspense was plentiful. I liked Ana and Eoghan they were not perfect which made them very realistic. I liked the tension between Eoghan and his family. It was realistically written and fun to see played out throughout the story. Having Carah and her husband in the story added to the suspense who was after both Ana and Eoghan. Since many characters were from the first book it made it easier to follow. I think that it would be a good stand alone book, although I have read the first one. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
I would like to thank Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Jan 14, 2015 |
Title: Dark Road Home (Edge of Freedom #2)
Author: Elizabeth Ludwig
Pages: 340
Year: 2013
Publisher: Bethany House
This second story in the series is a great continuation of the first novel, No Safe Harbor. The two main characters in this novel are Ana Kavanagh and Eoghan Hamilton. The story is set in New York City in the 1800s. Several characters from the first novel make return appearances in this second novel.
Eoghan Hamilton wakes up after a few too many ales on the steps of a local church. The sisters and father at the church think he is homeless and offer him food, shelter and a job. Eoghan accepts, but continues to think of ways he can redeem himself in the eyes of his fellow compatriots, the Fenians. Eoghan longs to be a part of this political force again, seeking Irish homeland rule. However, the more Eoghan is asked to do, the more he begins to wonder why he is pursuing this path. He meets Ana while she is volunteering at the church and is immediately drawn to her. She slowly begins to share part of her past with him, and he wants nothing more than to protect her. Could he really find it in himself to love her? He reconciles with his twin sister, Cara, who has married his enemy. Is this reconciliation for real or is there another purpose? Can Eoghan really ever trust a Turner?
Ana Kavanagh has secrets she has shared with no one. Why is she drawn to share them with Eoghan? She has turned her back on God because He turned His back on her. She wants nothing to do with the church, but to see Eoghan; she must go to the church because that’s where he works. What else is going on in Eoghan’s life Ana wonders? Could he ever care for someone with her scarred hands and heart? As the story continues, Ana begins to look forward to going to volunteer at the church and not just to see Eoghan. Her heart slowly comes to realize that God didn’t turn His back on her, and He welcomes her back into His presence with open arms.
The characters of Eoghan and Ana are developed so well that readers can feel their emotions and thoughts. They both battle with returning to the God of their youth or relying on themselves. I think a lot of people today face a similar battle. The plot moved the story along at a good pace and set in motion the plot for a third book. I can’t wait to read that one! The book had plenty of events going on to keep the reader’s interest. I recommend both books in this series and hope you will enjoy these stories as much as I have. I’m looking forward to what will happen next in this exciting series!
My rating is 4 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Sep 4, 2013 |
Elizabeth Ludwig continues in her Edge of Freedom series with another great book Dark Road Home.
This book is Ana Kavangh's story (Cara's friend from the boarding house). Ana has lived through a painful past where she survived a fire that left her with scars not only on her hands, but also on her heart. Through a chance meeting at a local church where Ana volunteers, she meets and befriends Eoghan Hamilton (Cara's brother). Eoghan is still struggling with Cara's betrayal and wants nothing to do with her. Ana is convinced she can bring the two together, but realizes she also has bitterness to deal with when it comes to God. Unbeknownst to Ana, there is someone who wants her dead and trouble is lurking around every corner. And while Eoghan has vowed to protect Ana, He himself is a target too.

I thought this second book continued the story line well. It was thrilling and fun to read. The ending of the book left enough intrigue to make me wish the third book was already out! Ana and Eoghan both have their difficulties that they must face and overcome. And until they see God as good, they struggle in their relationship with Him, blaming Him for all that has happened. I thought the author did a great job building the stories of the characters and weaving together all the mysterious details that make the story interesting. I'm really looking forward to reading about Tillie's story in the third and final book in the series called Tide and Tempest when it comes out March 1, 2014.

***I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  MandaT | Aug 29, 2013 |
Ana is the main character and she tells us the story of her mysterious past. We are led on an adventure of danger and secrets. Why is Ana troubled by horrible nightmares? Why is she using an alias? What horrible things has she lived through in the past that have left scars to her both physically and emotionally? Ana is led back to God and the church when a friend convinces her to volunteer there.

At the church she meets Eoghan who is searching for his sister. Eoghan finds his sister and falls in love with Ana. His faith in others is restored through the people he meets at the church. He is also hiding from his past. After he reveals Ana’s secret will he be able to save her?

I found that this was a quick read. I read it in two days. Yes it is a Christian fiction book, but it was not overly loaded with religious material. Occasionally I read Christian fiction and books about the Amish people, a little bit of religion in a book is okay with me. This book affected me more than I thought. I had a dream that someone from my past returned and they were holding a Bible. I’m not sure what all that means? Maybe it is all the herbals that I have started taking? Anyway, this was suspenseful and full of twists and turns and action. It keeps you reading. The chapters are fairly short. The Dark Road Home is actually the character’s journey back to God and their faith. The ending is a happy one, albeit not necessarily realistic. I give this 4 out of 5 stars. Would be a good clean book for a young teen reader. I enjoyed this book even though I am not actively religious. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Aug 4, 2013 |

Romance and Suspense Burn on Every Page of Ludwig's Latest

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:04 -0400)

"Hunted by dangerous enemies and betrayed by those they loved, can Ana and Eoghan, 19th century Irish immigrants in New York, forgive the wounds of the past and learn to trust again?"--Provided by publisher.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible