They Won't Shut Up by Cindy J Smith

They Won't Shut Up

by Cindy J Smith

411,664,912 (5)None

They Won't Shut Up is a heartfelt body of work, presented with a stark title, and with a cover that expresses what is unique about this author. Cindy J. Smith is a truck driver who is blessed with a natural gift. Often while driving through the night, when all is quite, she is hearing these voices flowing through her mind, heart and gut, making her a vessel through which they are delivered to paper. This verse, for example, brought a mile to my lips:

I write what they have to say
Rhyming as fast as I can
So that I might possibly
Have some peaceful sleep again

She quotes these voices with rare directness; she holds nothing back, even though they touch upon painful, deeply intimate moments:

Sometimes I feel
Like a small child
Wandering around
Lost in the wild

The most poignant poems, for me, were the ones scented with the fragrance of jasmine, which she presents to her daughter as a token of consolation:

To make all perfect
Dear daughter of mine
I'll tie a great bow
Of fresh jasmine vine

This fragrance is an allusion to the girl she calls "My angel in Heaven" whom she misses, and whose poetic work is included at the end of the book as a tender tribute. Oh, such a sense of aching and hope in these words, "Someday we'll never part..."

Five stars. ( )
  Uvi_Poznansky | Jul 26, 2013 |

Cindy J Smith is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,398,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible