Now I'll Tell You Everything by Phyllis…

Now I'll Tell You Everything

by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Series: Alice (25)

All right. If you were an active fan of this series all along—like, keeping up with the author's website and writing in your suggestions for the series—you may have been less surprised by the last book than I was (maybe). But I was really disappointed by the way this series ended. (Don't worry; no spoilers except the general outline of the book.)

Each of the twenty-seven previous books, including prequels, covered a space of four months. First semester of the school year, second semester, summer. Every time. And I really liked this, because it allowed the detail and pacing that made you really feel like Alice was a person you knew, not just a character; it was like her life was happening in real time.

This book covered forty years. In the first place, the name was confusingly changed because the publisher thought it should be... Just, you know, because. It was over 500 pages long, too, so from the very beginning, the last book was different from every single other book in the series. Then, the pacing made no sense. Where each of the other books had handled one semester at a time, this one had Alice starting college and finishing the year just a few pages later—mid-chapter. Once college ended, time went even faster and more unevenly; three or four years would be skipped in one sentence, followed by several pages describing a conversation or a trip to the doctor's office.

A friend's review said that this felt like reading fanfiction, and now I know exactly what she meant. It wasn't like a real book in the series; it felt more like something an author would throw together ten years after the end of the series to appease fans who'd been begging to know how everything turned out. If I'd gone in with that expectation, I still would have thought the writing was crappy, but at least I wouldn't have been utterly baffled for the first several chapters. And I wish I had known, because my initial confusion really ruined my mood for the rest of the book. At this point, I'm simultaneously glad that the series is over and sad about being glad. I still think the Alice series is one of the best coming-of-age series a kid could read, but its lackluster ending leaves me resigned rather than satisfied.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
The final Alice McKinley book. It was great to find out how her adult life turned out. Good closure to the series. ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
I had ideas of what I wanted to happen to finish up the Alice series, but this last book exceeded all my expectations. It was well-written, especially considering it spanned forty years of Alice's life. By tackling such a long period of time, some events were sped up, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything, or that there were things that weren't addressed. The book ends when Alice is sixty years old, which I feel completes the story enough that readers' imaginations can take it from there. A very satisfying end to the series, and I know I'll keep re-reading the whole thing throughout my life. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Amazing final book in the YA series by Naylor. In the final book Alice's lifestory is concluded through age 60. True fans will be sure to laugh out loud, and cry. ( )
  eaportil | Nov 1, 2013 |
Really this book is 2. 5 stars and the .5 is for nostalgic fondness. This book does not lie it does follow Alice from 18-60. Yes I guess that those of us who have "known" Alice for years did want to know how she ended up and with whom. Perhaps though we didn't need quite this much detail. Frankly a lot of the book was just dull. I mean I thought "who cares?" several times.

There are also a thousand little nitpicks I have because I am very familiar with the area that she is writing about. Which is why when Alice mentions that they have to get up super-early to get to Fairfax from Chevy Chase I laughed. Or the difficulties of getting from College Park to Silver Spring. Of course that is one thing that has irritated me consistently throughout the series. I know how close Takoma Park is to Silver Spring. That is not some earth-shattering move.

Yes of course we all know who Alice ends up marrying. That part was really well done. I would have followed her through college or to her wedding and then done the last part of the book as an epilogue. ( )
  matamgirl | Aug 17, 2013 |
To all the Alices, whatever their names, who helped me write these books.
The day I left for college, Lester borrowed a pickup for all my stuff.

As Alice McKinley begins a new phase as a student at the University of Maryland, College Park, she experiences many changes, both expected and surprising, that lead her into a future her seventh-grade self could only have imagined.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible