Threads of Change: A Quilting Story (Part 1)…

Threads of Change: A Quilting Story (Part 1)

by Jodi Barrows

I've read several inspirational historical romance quilting books this year (phew is that a mouthful) and this one followed a pretty similar route. Take a historical romance, add some widows or unmarried women who too much time on their hands, throw in a dash of quilting with a side of unrequited love and VOILA you have this book (along with a whole new genre).

Liz is an independent women, she is a widow with a ten year old son and she isn't afraid to speak her mind. When her grandfather convinces her that she, her sister, her two cousins, her son, and her should move west to Texas, in order to avoid the coming war (Civil War) she hesitantly agrees. While on the trail to Texas she utilizes her quick thinking and inner strength to save the traveling party from near disaster several times. It may seem like she's in control of everything but her heart and her head are at war. Accompanying them is her dead husband's best friend, Thomas. He's clearly smitten with her and she is unsure how to proceed. What's a woman to do? Spoiler alert, quilting solves most problems.

The storyline was decent although the beginning was convoluted and confusing. Once they reached Texas I feel like the author rushed together a hasty ending. The pacing was a little odd but overall I guess the story was ok.

I received this book for free from Moody Publishing in return for my honest, unbiased opinion. ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 7, 2014 |
“Threads of Change”, written by Jodi Barrows is from A Quilting Story, Part 1. The story revolves around four women, two sisters and their two cousins, who form a wagon train from Lecompte, Louisiana to Fort Worth, Texas to make a new start before the coming Civil War wrests their livelihood from them.

Liz was widowed a year earlier and is looking forward to starting a new life in the west. Along with her son Luke, grandfather Lucas, sister, Megan and cousins, Anna and Emma, she hopes to start a mercantile in Fort Worth. The army has abandoned the fort and the inhabitants want to form a new and thriving town.

This book was an easy read and predictable for the most part. Although the wagon train encountered tornadoes, Indians, snakes and other deterrents along the way, each episode did not seem to be glossed over by the author. I think she was trying to put a sense of adventure into the story, but I think there could have been more emphasis to those trials. I felt that something was missing. However, I did enjoy reading this novel and would like to continue the series by reading Part 2 of this saga.

Moody Publishers provided a free kindle copy in return for my honest review of this book.

You can find this review on my blog at http://wp.me/p2pjIt-7k.
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
Title: Threads of Change (A Quilting Story Part 1)
Author: Jodi Barrows
Pages: 224
Year: 2013
Publisher: River North
Prior to the beginning of the Civil War, Lucas sends his four granddaughters west in hopes of sparing them the expected changes that would come to the south. With four wagons loaded with trade goods and prior arrangements made for proper escort, the journey begins. From this point forward, the difficulties of crossing the prairie without shelter of a home or fresh nourishing meat handy and other trials begin. Not only do the trials begin, but so do the changes within the women that inevitably come from digging deep within to face dangers head on, moving forward and not fleeing home.
The more I progressed through the pages, the more I became captivated with the plot and also found myself emotionally engaged. Not only is this a tale of various quilts, frontier travel and faith, but also discovering love after loss. Most of the granddaughters recognized the leadership qualities within Elizabeth and Abigail going to teach at a new school and Megan opening a dressmaker’s store, but what about Emma?
Lucas, their grandfather, eventually joins the women once his land and business are sold, and what a joyful reunion! Two of the men who were accompanying the women at the start of the journey get separated from the band. Two other hands help and are willing to let Liz lead and give orders, even her son Luke who is quickly becoming a man. What awaits them at their destination of Fort Worth, Texas? With civil unrest and lawlessness what future can the men and women of the area look forward to?
I suspect the author has further adventures in store for these characters as the novel’s ending leaves one wondering what comes next. As I read, it reminded me how different life was back then and even though we have modern convinces perhaps we have lost the closeness in relationships. Back then most were reared with the Bible being the book in most homes where family information was kept and recorded for generations. Where do we keep that information now and do we let the next generation know their past? I know it is important to my family and we do have a way of noting the family line from both my husband and me. We share a faith that carries us through the toughest of storms and brings comfort in a way no one or nothing else can. What about you dear reader?
Enjoy this novel; I eagerly await the sequel!
My rating is 5 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Sep 6, 2013 |
The adventures of four women in a wagon train on their way to Texas. Sisters Liz and Megan, cousins Anna and Emma, are hoping to open a mercantile in their new location. Along the way they encounter Indians, storms, wild animals, and more that threaten their safety. It's a long, hard journey but the women are tough and determined.

This is an easy read, predictable, but enjoyable. If you're looking for a cozy story of pioneer life and the daily troubles they encounter this is it.

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JoyAnne | Sep 5, 2013 |

In 1856, the political unrest is growing in the South. Lucas Mailly gathers his granddaughters and sends them west by wagon with a handful of men to lead them.  He must stay behind to sell their beloved Riverton home and timber mill. The recently widowed Elizabeth Bromont doesn't want to disappoint her grandfather and pushes her own emotions aside to do what is expected. She takes charge of this band of women on their adventure across the frontier.

With every turn along the wagon trail, these cousins, filled with city social graces and charm must learn how to handle the hardships and heartaches they face. Elizabeth finds herself with an unexpected suitor-her deceased husband's best friend. Her sister, Megan, encourages her, while keeping a secret of her own. Abby and Emma, the Mississippi cousins that have journeyed west, peel away the emotional layers put there by their heavy-handed plantation owner father and mother.

On the road west, through wagon accidents, total exhaustion, raging storms and wild animals the small band of travelers learn about survival on the prairie and the individuals they need to become to survive.

Relieved to finally arrive at the abandoned military post at Fort Worth, Texas they begin the hard work of establishing a home.  The cousins help build schools and churches, and try to civilize the community with manners. Friendships are mended together around the quilting frame. But, they soon realize it that heartache has followed them. When their strength is put to the biggest test of all, they become true warriors of their heart, mind, and souls.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:46 -0400)

Four female cousins face the trials of life along the wagon trail and the Texas frontier as they travel to and establish a new home at the abandoned military post at Forth Worth, Texas in 1856.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible