Foreplay by Sophie Jordan

I enjoyed this book, but simply put, I have read better New Adult reads in recent times. I just felt like something was missing from this book and that disappointed me slightly because I felt like it started off strong. But by the halfway point, I was getting a little bored with it.

I think part of the problem was Pepper. I just didn't like her all that much. It's not because I found her to be annoying--I just found her to be boring. Which is a shame because she could have been a very interesting character given the stuff we learn about her later in the book. Reese was the same for me too. He just seemed very generic but I did find him swoon-worthy at times.

I'm not sure how I feel about the love triangle either. Usually, they irritate me to no end but this one didn't bother me that much. I'm not sure if it is because I always knew how it was going to end or if I just was indifferent to Pepper--I think it's the latter though.

I had a pretty solid idea about how this book was going to end going into it so nothing really surprised me as I read it. Though I will give credit to two particular "twists"/events that got me to perk up in my seat as I read them--they made things a little more exciting.

Overall: All and all, this book was alright. When I finished it, I gave it a 4/5 but when I thought about it more, it's more of a 3.5 that's closer to a 3. It wasn't anything overly exciting (drama wise) but I enjoyed reading it. I think it's a great book to read if you are looking at getting into the New Adult genre, but I think those who have read a good number of New Adult reads will find this a little dull. Though, it should be said that the writing caliber of this book is SIGNIFICANTLY better than a lot of New Adult reads out there.

Check out more spoiler-free book and series reviews on my blog SERIESous Book Reviews as well as read book series recaps!

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Oh, this was good. Fun and steamy and fluffy and Reece, oh my Reece. He made me swoon so many times. Pepper was good. I didn’t want to kill her (which is always a plus) and I honestly understood her reasons. It’s really hard to let go of those things we tell ourselves that will be good for us, even when something (or someone) better comes along. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
I don't normally go for romance novels but I really enjoyed this one.

Pepper has been in love with her best friend's brother Hunter since they were kids. He embodies all that she has ever wanted and needed: safety and normalcy. Now that she has a chance with him, she feels she needs to get some experience under her belt before she can go for him. She instead pursues a tall, dark, and handsome bartender, just to help her to learn foreplay, and you know the rest.

I loved the story and the chemistry between the characters. Even though it is somewhat predictable, it still pulled me in and I couldn't put it down. 4.5 stars. ( )
  cosiari | Jul 3, 2016 |
I started reading Foreplay late on a Tuesday night, and finished it Wednesday morning. I could not put it down.
I absolutely love Pepper and Reece. Both are so completely damaged, but they both have to put some things aside to figure out who they are. Pepper changed so much throughout this book. Just because you make a plan, doesn’t mean that’s how it’s going to work out. I love how protective Reece is. He’s also strong, and determined.
The smexy scenes were great. It was fun seeing Pepper’s reactions to Reece. I like how she was able to open up to him when she couldn’t with her friends. The things that Pepper went through made me hurt for her. The same went for Reece. I do like that while there were some dark things that happened that overall the storyline was still fun.
Foreplay is a fast paced read that you won’t want to put down. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I rarely take the time to read new adult as I don't want to be teased with tidbit of sensuality and that seems to be most NAs on the market at the moment. Ms Jordan is by no means a tease. She builds the relationship with you slowly, draws you in, and then just when you can't quite take anymore waiting, she gives you everything you could have wanted and more.

This book is well written, smart, snarky and portrays a real sense of the characters. My only complaint is the use of a device that is becoming all too common. (I won't share due to spoilers). I am so tired of seeing this in books. I know it happens in real life but I want to escape in a book not be brought down by the reality of the harsh lessons our world shows us.

An EXCELLENT book and the steamiest, of romance even in the full on adult genre, I have read in awhile ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Pepper has been hopelessly in love with her best friend's brother, Hunter, for, like, ever. Hes the key to everything she's always craved: security, stability, family. But she needs Hunter to notice her as more than just a friend. Even though she's kissed exactly one guy, she has the perfect plan to go from novice to rock star in the bedroom: take a few pointers from someone who knows what hes doing. Her college roommates have the perfect teacher in mind. But bartender Reece is nothing like the player Pepper expects. Yes, hes beyond gorgeous, but he's also dangerous and deep with a troubled past. Soon what started as a lesson in attraction is turning both their worlds upside down, and showing them just what can happen when you go past foreplay and get to whats real.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sophie Jordan's book Foreplay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,426,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible