Love Story, With Murders by Harry Bingham

Love Story, With Murders (2013)

by Harry Bingham

This is the second book in the Fiona Griffiths series, and her team is dealing with a grisly case in this installment: the scattering of years-old body parts in various houses in a Cardiff suburb. And the kicker is that more recent body parts also start appearing. At the same time, Fiona is on the trail of the mystery surrounding her much younger self.

I enjoyed this book as I did the first one, although there is so much going on that I was a bit fatigued by the end as all the loose ends were tied up appropriately. But it is a tidy book for that reason. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 22, 2017 |
The second entry in Bingham's innovative Fiona Griffiths series, about a Detective Constable in South Wales whose personal situation make her both a very good detective and a very bad team player. In this one, Fiona and colleagues are faced with the discovery of two dismembered corpses: one turns out to be a missing persons case from a few years earlier, and the other is a recent murder. The discovery of the various body parts in the same general vicinity argues for the two cases to be connected, but the police struggle to make a connection between the victims until Fiona expands the range of possible motives.

It's hard to overstate how interesting Fiona is as a main character. On one hand, these are standard police procedural mysteries, though tightly plotted and peopled with interesting characters, good guys and bad guys alike. On the other hand, the notion of a first-person narrator who openly acknowledges her personal (and ongoing) history of mental illness is not one I can recall ever encountering before. Bingham excels with his sympathetic and unsentimental portrayal of Fiona: She asks for no sympathy or accommodation either from the reader or her police bosses. Most valuably, Fiona is portrayed as a productive member of society not despite her mental illness but in many ways because of it. It's an invaluable viewpoint in a world where too often mental illness is treated as something shameful or as a stigma that completely cancels out any abilities the person might have. ( )
3 vote rosalita | Mar 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the second in a series about D.C. Fiona Griffiths a constable in the Cardiff police department. Fiona is a scary, quirky constable who is willing to overlook legal justice to see (her view) of moral justice persevere, even if she has to nudge it along here and there. In this book body parts are popping up all over the place and Fiona must find that justice for not one but three victims. The story did drag in places but that being said I had to know what Fiona would do next so that helped pull me through the slow parts.

I hadn't read the first book and I received this one from LibraryThing. I really enjoyed it and will definitely read the first book as well of Bingham's future books. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
This is the second of three books about D.C. Fiona Griffiths. I haven’t read the first in the series but will remedy that situation soon, then the third. Some series I feel that I have to read in order. I picked this book up in a fit of despair after picking up and putting down 3 others, and for some reason it stuck. I became enthralled, immediately captivated by Fiona.

Fiona is 26, lives in Wales, has a boyfriend, an adoptive family, and also has an extremely unusual disease, Cotard’s Syndrome, which colors her every move and thought. The mystery/thriller is told in the first person, which perfectly suits our getting to know Fiona.

This is an intricate, clever, well-written book that just keeps going and going. It’s like a rock that is dropped into a still pond, sending out ripples until they reach the bank.

Harry Bingham lets us get to know the players slowly, carefully, in detail. He grows Fiona in a totally believable way, exploring her relationship with her boyfriend Buzz and the D.I. on the case, Rhiannon Watkins, a prickly take-no-prisoners officer. There are no short cuts to the story, no shallow summaries to explain characters, murders, connections, or scenes.

In other words, this is a first-class book: vivid, detailed, satisfying, logical, believable. ( )
  karenmarie | Nov 15, 2016 |
This terrific thriller is number two in the Harry Bingham's Fiona Griffiths series, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Fiona, who we met in "Talking With the Dead", is NOT a nice normal Welsh policeperson, she has mental issues that make "keeping it together" a major accomplishment on her part. She also has an excellent brain, a great deal of determination, and a much more fighting ability than one would expect. This story starts off with a pair of murders in which each body has been dismembered and distributed about a Cardiff neighborhood -- five years apart. The story is complex but gripping: I didn't lose track and I stayed glued to the page. The author has a terrific gift for creating secondary characters; each one stands out as an individual. A top notch thriller, but, even more than with most series, I'd recommend reading the first novel in the series before starting this one. ( )
  annbury | Aug 16, 2016 |

Investigating the discovery of human remains that have been frozen for a decade, D.C. Fiona Griffiths learns that the victim was a missing student with possible connections to Griffiths' father, a case that is further complicated by a recent murder.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Harry Bingham's book Love Story, With Murders was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible