Mary Fran and Matthew [novella] by Grace…

Mary Fran and Matthew [novella]

by Grace Burrowes

Series: MacGregor Series (July 2013 - book 1.5)

This was just a fast novella to get one of the side plots from "The Bridegroom Wore Plaid". Delightful and simple. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Colonel Matthew Daniels, heir to the baronies of Altsax and Gribbony, has accompanied his father, sisters, aunt and cousin to Castle Balfour in Aberdeenshire, where they are guests of the Earl of Balfour and his family. The purpose of the trip is to arrange a marriage between the cash-strapped earl and Matthew's heiress sister. That's the main plot in [b:The Bridegroom Wore Plaid|13515289|The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregor Trilogy, #1)|Grace Burrowes|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1339827063s/13515289.jpg|19071609], the first installment of the MacGregor Trilogy. From that book, we already know that Matthew and Mary Fran fall in love and get married, but since they are secondary characters we don't get the whole story. This novella gives us the details.

Matthew is a true gentleman, unlike his vulgar father, and has until recently served in Her Majesty's cavalry in the Crimea (pre-war). Mary Fran, widow of an English officer, has a strong dislike of all things English. Matthew is immediately attracted to her and she, reluctantly, to him. But Matthew has shameful secrets, something having to do with his military service, and does not consider himself a worthy prospective husband for the daughter of an earl. Mary Fran is not really seeking a husband, however; she is content to enjoy herself in Matthew's arms as a distraction from the burdens of raising her precocious daughter, Fiona, and running the castle as a sort of hotel for wealthy visitors who want to bask in their proximity to Balmoral, which is the neighboring estate. As in the first book, Prince Albert has a cameo role, and Queen Victoria is an off-screen character.

I think that this book suffers from the problem that affects many novellas: there is very limited space to tell the story. Here, that situation is complicated by the large number of secondary characters who pop up and then disappear. Even though I had recently read the previous book, I found this one confusing. And even though Grace Burrowes has a wonderful talent for telling a story and creating memorable characters, I just didn't find that to be the case here. The details of Matthew's scandal and Mary Fran's first marriage left me with many unanswered questions, but to discuss them here would be too spoilerish.

If you liked [b:The Bridegroom Wore Plaid|13515289|The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregor Trilogy, #1)|Grace Burrowes|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1339827063s/13515289.jpg|19071609], as I did, you'll probably enjoy reading this novella, but in my opinion it just isn't as good as the stories that Burrowes usually publishes. There is a nice set-up for the next novel, [b:Once Upon a Tartan|15713729|Once Upon a Tartan (MacGregor Trilogy, #2)|Grace Burrowes|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1366089760s/15713729.jpg|21382136], where Matthew's younger sister is looking after Fiona when the girl's paternal uncle arrives to take her back to her English family. Complications ensue. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
Once again Grace Burrowes has introduced us to wonderful characters and a great story line. Matthew Daniels has accompanied his family to the home of Lady Mary Francis and her family. Matthew's father is trying to arrange a marriage between his daughter and Mary Fran's brother, Ian. That doesn't seem to be working, however, Ian does find and bride.... and so does Matthew.
This is an easy read and for me another "Grace Burrowes" book that I couldn't put down until I had finished it. ( )
  bettysunflower | Aug 13, 2013 |
MARY FRAN AND MATTHEW by Grace Burrowes is a delightful Scottish Victorian Historical Romance. A Novella. #1.5 in the "MacGregor" Trilogy. And features the MacGregor's sister, Lady Mary Frances MacGregor Flinn, a Scottish widow who hates the English military and Matthew Daniels,an English Colonel who is reported to left the military in disgrace,and who is also part Scottish. A quick read! Faced paced and ties up some lose ends from "The Bridegroom Wore Plaid". A very intense but sweet story filled with secrets,passion and love. Secrets revealed,passion ignites and love burns turn and hot. It is only 75 pages, but a lot is packed into those 75 pages! A must read! Another hit for author Grace Burrowes. She is a constant storyteller,her stories are passionate,charming, engaging, and her characters realistic. I am looking forward to more of the MacGregor Brothers. Personal buy.

RATING: 4.5

HEAT RATING: MILD

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Jul 29, 2013 |

Grace Burrowesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hampton, RogerReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Fabulous Victorian romance novella by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Grace Burrowes. In The Bridegroom Wore Plaid three of the MacGregor brothers found true love, while the story of how their sister Lady Mary Frances meets her match in Matthew Daniels needs a novella all its own. Widowed Mary Frances MacGregor has vowed she'll never succumb to manipulation by another handsome Englishman, but falls hard for lonely, outcast Matthew Daniels. Matthew not only has a scandal in his past, but is forbidden by conscience from explaining to Mary Frances why she ought to marry him anyway.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,833,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible