VERANDA The Art of Outdoor Living by LISA…

VERANDA The Art of Outdoor Living

by LISA NEWSOM

A veranda is the bridge between your private life and the public world. {…} We can’t all have the grand gardens {of} these pages, but we can all pick -- or buy -- a little posy and put it in a vase to enjoy.

That’s exactly how I came to this collection of photo spreads pulled from the pages of Veranda Magazine -- a beginning gardener (despite my middle age) looking forward to a lush visual tour and maybe some inspiration that I could pull from these magnificent properties and scale to my modest space.

I did enjoy the visuals -- a beautiful book, sturdily bound, with smooth pages and a pleasing layout. Each of the several-dozen 6- to 10-page spreads begins with a page of background text about the property’s location (mostly North America and western Europe), the owners’ desires and landscape architect’s philosophy, followed by pages of photos in beautiful composition. There’s a photograph of Constance Spry rose (p165) so close-up I can sense its aroma and cool succulence; a photograph of a garden’s impressionist reflection in a pool (p109) that’s as striking as Monet; and then there’s Monet’s actual Giverny (pp176-83), the most colorful spread in a book that's dominated by green.

As for inspiration, there were fewer tangible takeaways than I’d hoped. I did notice that I respond to height in a garden -- it makes me feel small and calm. When I leafed through the book a second time, browsing rather than reading closely as I’d done before, I found I noticed shape, texture, color and flow much more. So I guess time will tell what the book has begun percolating in me.

(Review based on a copy of the book provided by the publisher.) ( )
  DetailMuse | Feb 21, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161837088X, Hardcover)

Take a private tour of magnificent homes, with their lush gardens, elegant courtyards, and inviting pools set amid breathtaking landscapes. This lavish new book from Veranda magazine offers a wealth of ideas for exceptional outdoor rooms and spaces, all created by the world's best designers. Broken down into classic, modern, romantic, and exotic styles, these are among the most spectacular environments ever featured in Veranda.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

"Take a private tour of magnificent homes, with their lush gardens, elegant courtyards, and inviting pools set amid breathtaking landscapes. This lavish new book from Veranda magazine offers a wealth of ideas for exceptional outdoor rooms and spaces, all created by the world's best designers. Broken down into classic, modern, romantic, and exotic styles, these are among the most spectacular environments ever featured in Veranda"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,375,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible