Leaving Shadows by Eric J. Gates

Leaving Shadows

by Eric J. Gates

312,001,085 (4.5)None

I am a huge fan of Ian Fleming and the 007 films. Gates gives the classic thriller a thoroughly modern upgrade. “Leaving Shadows” is a unique tale that takes the reader on an adventurous ride. At the end of the novel there is a document that forms a pact between Eric J Gates and the reader listing what Gates will present the reader. The boiled down version is that he promises that his work will be unique and entertaining and Gates carries through on the promise in spades.

“Leaving Shadows” contains a large cast of characters. At the start of the novel keeping up was a bit of a challenge. Gates drew the character of Bernard Trubshaw, also known as C, well. We watch as him as he dances through his morning routine waiting to be escorted by SAS to his office. Bernard is very scheduled, very distant from his wife and someone who works well under pressure. Everyone else was somewhat generic and more defined by his or her place in the story. Jenkinson and Sena are overriding forces in the story and ease the reader through. Many others have the feel of a white hat and black hat character and act their role in a credit to the story but not in a sense of enhancement.

“Leaving Shadows” is a very plot-driven tale. The twists and turns that Gates takes serves to keep the action moving and the reader’s mouth hanging open. “If she liked the book so much why did she give it 4 stars” you might ask. I gave it 4 stars because while I liked the novel and thought it was really unique, it was not a full package novel for me. While I loved the beginning and ending I felt the middle of the novel was somewhat disconnected at points. The mastery Gates exhibits is that with the ever-moving action, those moments were brief.

“Leaving Shadows” is one of the better thrillers I’ve read this year. ( )
  TammyDewhirst | Jul 28, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,761,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible