Lazarus Volume 1: Family by Greg Rucka

Lazarus Volume 1: Family

by Greg Rucka

Other authors: Michael Lark (Illustrator)

Series: Lazarus (1-4)

Dystopia: in some sort of post-apocalyptic world, areas are ruled by Families, served by Serfs, and then the rest of the unwashed, unfortunate masses are simply called Waste. Each family has a Lazarus, a member who's been technologically enhanced to fight (and to be very, very difficult to kill).

There's a clear villain here who is easy to hate, but I realized in writing this that I don't fully understand his motivations. So he's more of a classic comic book villain, maybe, loving death and destruction for its own sake. The heroine -- her name is Forever, nickname Eve, and she is the Lazarus of the powerful Carlyle family -- is a bit of a Bruce Wayne character: powerful, privileged, yet lonely and troubled. I'm intrigued by her, and by the hints of mystery dropped throughout this volume, which are easily sufficient to make me want to pick up Vol. 2. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
The introduction to the world of Forever Carlyle. I read the second book in this series first, but this one powers along with great characters and artwork. Forever is the Carlyle family's Lazarus, their defender. She can survive all but the most lethal injuries. She is loyal to the family -- but the family is not loyal to itself. Having read the second book 'Lift' I admire the consistency between the two. ( )
  questbird | Apr 9, 2015 |
Good story with several arcs, nicely paced action, development, and revelations, characters are engaging.looking forward to the the next trade pb. ( )
  NatalieSW | Jan 1, 2015 |
In a broken and hungry world where serfs serve the ruling Families and most humans, defined as Waste, struggle to survive, the Families turn to engineering perfect protectors. Forever/Eve has been bioengineered to withstand almost any physical assault, and her loyalties are guaranteed by a combination of drugs and emotion: she thinks she’s actually the daughter/sister of the rest of the Family, though we quickly learn she’s not. When one of her brothers (whose relationship with another sister is far too close) starts scheming to take over the Family, she’s plunged into dangerous waters. It wasn’t bad, but nothing really grabbed me. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 25, 2014 |
Maybe I'm just not the graphic novel type. 'Lazarus' is conceived in a genre that I generally love -the dystopia, but I just didn't feel any power behind it. This is often my complaint when it comes to graphic novels, that they lack the depth of a 'real' novel. That being said, the dystopia created in 'Lazarus' is a truly frightening one because it is actually true in so many parts of the world today. A few wealthy individuals and their families fight for resources while the rest of the human population is merely considered 'waste'. Great concept, I'd like to see it more fleshed out.

(This review is based on an advance review copy supplied through NetGalley by the publisher.) ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Greg Ruckaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lark, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In a dystopian near-future, government is a quaint concept, resources are coveted, and possession is 100% of the law. A handful of Families rule, jealously guarding what they have and exploiting the Waste who struggle to survive in their domains. Forever Carlyle defends her family's holdings through deception and force as their protector, their Lazarus.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible