Unsavory Elements: Stories of Foreigners on…

Unsavory Elements: Stories of Foreigners on the Loose in China

by Tom Carter (Editor)

Other authors: Peter Hessler (Contributor), Simon Winchester (Contributor)

15None647,891 (4.5)None

No reviews
Fast-moving romps through a rapidly-changing changing society.
added by chinaphotographer | editCaixin (Jun 21, 2013)

Long time China Watchers will read between a few lines and see themselves there, and nod accordingly, but every single one of these tales contains enough humanity to do exactly what it is all of us who live in, work with, and write about this place want to do: Bridge the Gap.

(Editor) Tom Carter has pulled together an impressive cast of writers, established and amateur alike.

Great vignettes from world class writers...a celebration of the outsider’s experience in China, in all of its juiciness and fetid rancour.

One might be tempted to classify it as a travel book of sorts; what is being traversed and recollected throughout is not the lay of the land, but rather, the contours of confusion, excitement and isolation that every China expat has, at one point, had to clamber across and conquer.

Carter, TomEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hessler, PeterContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winchester, SimonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the people of China, who have enriched our lives with these page-turning experiences.
I almost died in China.
No wonder prostitution is so rampant in China, I mused as I watched the four girls watch us: why stand on your feet all day for slave wages when you can get rich on your back?
Why was I still traveling? Was it purely because it was better than turning around and going home, where I would have to make grown-up choices about my future? Or was I waiting to happen across a place that would tell me to stay?
I needed an adult female wearing a tight sleeveless cheongsam mini-dress to help me learn Chinese. All my senses would have to focus; otherwise I would end up knowing nothing. Tracing each Chinese character upon the small of her back with my index finger was only proper way to begin a lesson.
I remember looking around at the girls, the men, the drugs and the money, and wondering how long this utopia could last: the Chinese dream, in its second, prodigal generation.

An unprecedented anthology book of original, true stories commissioned from 28 renowned Western writers about their experiences living in China. Edited by Tom Carter and published by Earnshaw Books.

Featuring entirely original writings written exclusively for this work, this anthology is filled with 28 essays from foreigners who live or have lived in China for a significant period of time. The book contains beautiful and enlightening stories about China from such noteworthy writers as Simon Winchester, Peter Hessler, Susan Conley, and Alan Paul, among others. Through their personal stories, they illustrate the many sides of Chinese life--the weird, the fascinating, and the appalling--and share what it's like to live, learn, and love as an outsider in a land unlike any other in the world.… (more)

Tom Carter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,391,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible