Unteachable by Leah Raeder

Unteachable (2013)

by Leah Raeder

2082056,261 (3.58)4

Wow. This book. I don’t even know where to start fangirling.

Before I do, I want to say a little disclaimer. I do enjoy New Adult very much (see my adoration for Erin McCarthy’s TRUE series), however, there are so many bad novels (aka novels that perpetuate rape culture, victim blaming, makes it seem like a stalker is ok just because he’s beautiful, the list goes on…) I curate the titles with such care you wouldn’t believe. The blurb caught my attention but when I saw how trusted reviewers loved this, I knew I had to read it.

BEST. DECISION. EVER.

Let’s start with the prose. OMG. Such gorgeous prose. All I wanted to do is squeal and sigh and hug my e-reader to my chest because almost every single sentence WAS SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL. I kept commenting on this while I read because I just couldn’t believe I was enjoying such lyrical candy. The beauty reached to such limits that I really took my time to read and absorb and just enjoy the book. This plan, however, backfired horribly after reaching the 50% mark and the tension was so overwhelming that I had to do everything in my power not to skip to the end to make sure I got a happy ending. Rest assured, the happy ending is achieved. Sure, it's at the VERY LAST MINUTE but it is achieved.

Raeder has a real talent for not only mesmerizing sentences but lovable yet flawed characters. I fell for Maise, for Evan, for Wesley, for Siobhan… even with all their flaws and their issues, I just wanted to take them home and hug them.

Evan and Maise… I really thought they would burn the e-pages off my reader, which we know isn’t possible but I SWEAR IT ALMOST HAPPENED. Their chemistry, like a match, ignites from the first page and never lets go. Their scenes are both steamy and heart wrenching because damn Evan has a way with words and Maise has her heart locked up with the key at the bottom of the ocean and I am speaking in clichés but it’s just SO GOOD to see how this relationship develops.

If you want a fantastic palate cleanser for all the veritable crap that populates the New Adult genre, you need not look far. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
This book was such a surprise for me. I came into it knowing it would have lots of hot teacher steamy sex, but I wasn't expecting a lot as far as storyline. Man, was I wrong. This book reached inside of my chest and grabbed my heart and twisted it before yanking it out and throwing it on the floor and stomping on it. This isn't a happy love story. Yeah, there are happy parts, but like any real love story, their are parts that make you feel high as a kite and then kick your legs out from under you.

For my full reivew, check it out on my blog ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Wow! I love a good student/teacher romance and this one didn't disappoint one bit.

Oh the feels this book gave me....

Maise and Evan are a book couple that will forever be in my heart.

Their romance begins at a carnival. From there it goes to high school with him being her teacher. I'm sure you know how the rest goes... Secrets, lies, and sexy escapades.

The angst is thick. They know they shouldn't act on their feelings, but they can't stay away from each other. The relationship gets messy and as the truth is unveiled, ties are broken.

I loved loved loved this book!! Yes, student/teacher books have the same feel to them, but this one brought so much to the table. Talk about a page turner... The plot had just the right amount of twists and turns to leave you craving more. Once I started, I couldn't stop. The sexual tension made me squirm in my seat and the lies left my mind wandering.

I honestly cannot say enough wonderful things about this book. Evan was the perfect book boyfriend. He was protective, yet dominate. He wanted control in the best of ways. Maise was a fierce lead. She was seductive and strong. Both characters complicated one another so well and their romance was quite intense.

I highly recommend this read!! ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
3.5 Torn Stars

I am torn between 3 and 4 stars for this book.

There were parts that I absolutely adored and other Wierd parts that truly bothered me. I liked the heroine but sometimes found that I truly hated her and did not feel that the author allowed me to see enough of the real her to absolutely fall in love... I know there was a lot there but still something was Missing.

Now Evans I think this is where I want to give the book the 3 stars or possibly 2 really. I did not like his past story.. You know the one where he had been with another young girl.. New Name... Etc
Right when I thought I could love him I felt like this stuff was thrown in my face and I hated it. I felt like it took away so much from the story and the relationship and made me feel as if he was some kind of perv with the wrong intentions.

Truthfully, I liked the story and I think that the author did a really good job of telling it she just added stuff that was not for me and took away from somethings I felt I needed to know. I am so torn about this book because I truly did like the story, the characters, and the premise I just felt disconnected in places that I needed to be connected.

Overall it was a decent read, a quick one.. I guess I was just not pleased to the point of dislike on some parts of the book.
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Review:
Oh Maise and Mr. Wilke. Y'all took me on a rollercoaster of a ride.

I admire Maise in so many ways. She has been dealt a crappy life, and does what she can to take care of herself. I don't agree with everything she does, but she's pretty strong. Maise has a habit of keeping people away, and I don't really blame her for that. If you let people in, you get hurt. I really liked Evan. He isn't all about the physical, although, don't get me wrong, there's a lot of hanky panky going on. He wants to get to know Maise.

I love the connection between Maise and Evan. You can feel it jumping out of the pages. They have a complicated relationship what with all the student/teacher thing. But they also have their own insecurities to deal with. Maise and Evan also have to try to keep their interest a secret, but that's nearly impossible.

Leah Raeder did an amazing job writing about such a tabboo topic. Unteachable had me hooked from the beginning. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

I met him at a carnival, of all corny places. The summer I turned eighteen, in that chaos of neon lights and cheap thrills, I met a man so sweet, so beautiful, he seemed to come from another world. We had one night: intense, scary, real. Then I ran, like I always do. Because I didn’t want to be abandoned again.

But I couldn’t run far enough.

I knew him as Evan that night. When I walked into his classroom, he became Mr. Wilke.

My teacher.

I don’t know if what we’re doing is wrong. The rules say one thing; my heart says screw the rules. I can’t let him lose his job. And I can’t lose him.

In the movies, this would have a happy ending. I grow up. I love, I lose, I learn. And I move on. But this is life, and there’s no script. You make it up as you go along.

And you don’t pray for a happy ending. You pray for it to never end.

Maise O'Malley just turned eighteen, but she's felt like a grown-up her entire life. The summer before senior year, she has plans: get into a great film school, convince her mom to go into rehab, and absolutely do not, under any circumstances, screw up her own future. But life has a way of throwing her plans into freefall. When Maise meets Evan at a carnival one night, their chemistry is immediate, intense, and short-lived. Which is exactly how she likes it: no strings. But afterward, she can't get Evan out of her head. He's taught her that a hookup can be something more. It can be an unexpected connection with someone who truly understands her.… (more)

Leah Raeder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,568,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible