A Haunting In Oregon (The River) by Michael…

A Haunting In Oregon (The River)

by Michael Richan

205515,329 (4.17)None

This series has captivated me from the first book learning about the growing dynamics between father and son team Roy and Steven. I enjoyed the storyline of a haunted B&B and the escalation of the hauntings bought on by an evil man who, of course, gets his due. The new characters are interesting as you learn the special skills they possess. Can't wait to read the next in the series! ( )
  dawest58 | Feb 22, 2015 |
Michael Richan's A Haunting in Oregon is what it is -- it doesn't raise the bar, but it isn't something other than what it looks like. Don't worry; I'm going to explain further what I mean.

One impression that I allude to above is that this novel represents the very opposite of literary fiction. It's just a story, and there isn't anything wrong with that per se. I found the plot in and of itself pretty amusing. That said, the text consists exclusively of plot action and character dialogue. There's no framing of the narrative or technique used by the author to allow extra insight into what's happening as one reads. This bare bones narrative structure keeps subtext, and thus reading between the lines, to a minimum as far as literary interpretation goes.

The second respect in which I'd say this book "is what it is" has to do with the plain literary style the author employs in writing this novel. For example, the first line of this book, which you'll remember is entitled A Haunting in Oregon, is actually: "It looks haunted." The italics appear in the original, FYI.

If a story about a haunting is the essence of what you desire, you won't be disappointed with this selection. If you want more, look elsewhere, I'd say.

Please be advised I received a free copy of this book through the Goodreads Giveaway program. ( )
  kara.shamy | Jan 9, 2014 |
Title: A Haunting in Oregon, The River Series
By: Michael Richan
Genre: Contemporary Paranormal Fiction, also categorized as Horror Fiction
Published By: Dantull, July 27, 2013
Pages: 258
ASIN: B00E6YY6TC

About The Author: Michael Richan, presently living in Seattle Washington, has been writing for many years, and has recently published The River Series: The Bank of the River, A Haunting in Oregon, and Ghost of Our Fathers. The last book in the series was published September 29, 2013. His review ratings are very good for this new series, connecting with many readers. You can follow him and his new releases with this link http://michaelrichan.com/

About The Story: Roy has been requested by an old school friend, Pete, to help him with a small matter. Pete remembers from their fortieth year school reunion party that Rod has ‘abilities’. You see, Pete owns a mansion that he made into a bed and breakfast, but people who stay there die or get very sick. Not all of them, just some. The doctors think it’s some kind of virus. Pete thinks it’s something else and wants Roy to investigate.

Steve, Roy’s son, hasn’t known of his father’s abilities for many months. In fact, he had the same abilities, but never knew. He needs training to be able to master and understand what he is capable of. Steve comes to the mansion to help his father find out what’s wrong.

Sarah, Pete’s daughter, doesn’t believe that anyone can have abilities to see beyond what is seeable. She scoffs the idea and frankly is a bit sarcastic and unwelcoming to the father and son team. She feels that the bed and breakfast is doomed financially. They can’t support the mansion if people are frightened off by the deaths.

My Thoughts: Normally I wouldn’t pick up a book that is classified Horror Fiction, but I wanted to read this book because the title had Oregon in it. You see, I grew up in Oregon, so a part of me still has a soft spot for the state.

I liked this book because it was connected to a bit of history that probably isn’t known. In 1850 more the one hundred Native Americans were killed by the U.S. Calgary due to an uprising at the Kelsey ranch. If you’d like to see how this bit of history fits into the story link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Island_Massacre (check the link after you’ve read the story—don’t spoil the story for yourself)

I found Michael Richan’s book sort of, well fun to read—he has a nice way with words. But how can I say that when people are getting poked with tentacles which draw blood, dead people are unburied and hundreds of ghosts are running amok? Well, I don’t want to give the story away, but my point is, it was scary and just a fun read.

I liked the way Rod and his son, Steven connected. There was camaraderie between them and when Steven didn’t perform in a way that was best for eradicating a ghost, Rod wasn’t all over him. They made a very nice working team. I hope that Michael Richan continues his series. Well done! There were some secondary characters I would like to see again. Perhaps they are in his third book of the series. ( )
  EileenLina | Nov 23, 2013 |
Roy and his son/trainee Steven are called out to investigate ghostly paranormal occurrences at historic Mason Manor. The manor is now owned by Roy's long time friend, Pete, and Pete's daughter, Sarah.

While this is part of a series, it is entirely possible to be read as a stand alone book.

The narrative is crisp, flows well, and is laced with humor in parts.

Clever dialogue allows insight into characters and their motivations.

The characters are authentic to life and not all are likable or entirely likeable, including some of the lead ones.

Overall, a fun read! ( )
1 vote catya77 | Nov 18, 2013 |
Are there more living or dead guests at Mason Manor?

It has not been that long since Roy has introduced Steven to the family gift of “dealing with spirits”. Being new at the process of settling the spirits, Steven is not always sure how to handle things, and questions his father’s methods. Things don’t always turn out as they should, and the stakes become much higher. Roy takes Steven to the haunted Mason Manor to try and find out why the guests are leaving before morning. The owner’s daughter is not so happy about them being there, and thinks that nothing good can come out of their visit. In the beginning, she is right – more bad than good happens, guests leave and there are no reservations in the near future. It takes several road trips, a cast of various odd fellows, and many deals before they can even start to bring peace to everyone involved.
This is the second book of the River series, this book is filled with adventure, and fresh ideas. The author does a great job of keeping the premise of the relationship and how the family gift works. ( )
1 vote CarolTilson | Nov 4, 2013 |

Michael Richan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,384,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible