Miss Julia's Marvelous Makeover: A…

Miss Julia's Marvelous Makeover: A Novel

by Ann B. Ross

Series: Miss Julia (15)

Cozy southern charm ( )
  nanaval | Nov 20, 2015 |
I jumped ahead in this series to read this book after winning a copy in the Goodreads giveaways. When last I left Miss Julia she was not yet married to Sam, so that was a sweet surprise! Otherwise the characters were mostly familiar, with a few new ones to make this story entertaining. These are light fun books to read, with occasional bits of wisdom thrown in along the way. ( )
  jhoaglin | Jun 24, 2014 |
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. The plot has already been explained well in other reviews, so I'm just adding my own impressions. Please keep in mind these are only my own opinions.

This is the first book I have read by this author. I started out the book very excited about the story and found it a light and entertaining read at many points. I even looked at the list of other Ann Ross books at the front and thought that I may need to keep this author and these Miss Julia books in mind for future reading. I found myself at a bit of a disadvantage for not having read prior books, as it wasn't always clear who some characters were and how they fit into Miss Julia's life. Her husband, Sam, is a wonderful man, and Lloyd is an awesome kid! Miss Julia has some dear friends who are very good people. Many of the characters provide inspirational examples for a reader's own behavior and attitudes. I kind of liked that about this book.

Unfortunately, I eventually decided I just don't like Miss Julia herself all that much. She strikes me as someone who knows what good is and wants to be that, but I thought she was a snob. Although she obviously has been very kind to some people in order to have the friends she does, I just did not care for her attitudes and the way I thought she looked down on some people. Not all, but certainly some. Since the main character rubbed me the wrong way, I doubt I will be seeking out Miss Julia books in the future. Apologies to those who are big fans. I just don't care for Miss Julia herself. ( )
  jak910717 | May 25, 2014 |
The arrival of an unexpected house guest throws the normally calm Murdoch household into a bit of disarray. A distant cousin has played on Miss Julia's sense of family duty and shipped her granddaughter up to Abbotsville on the Greyhound. I'm not sure how this would have played out without Hazel Marie's deft hand involved, as Miss Julia becomes involved in Sam's new campaign for state office and a possible land dispute. It was a great visit with a lot of familiar faces, nice to see how everyone in Abbotsville is faring these days. ( )
  ethel55 | Apr 20, 2014 |
Miss Julia and Sam are unexpectedly given a house guest, the granddaughter of a distant cousin of Miss Julia's. At 24 this young lady is uncouth, sullen, and not inclined to learn anything from Miss Julia. Thankfully, Hazel Marie is willing to take on the task of educating Trixie into the right clothes to wear, the right make-up and the instill some manners into the girl.

When Trixie hooks up with an ambitious young man, Rodney, life gets interesting. Not to mention the fact that Sam decides to get involved in local politics.

There isn't much of a mystery here but as usual I enjoy spending time with Miss Julia and her circle of friends and acquaintances.

As Ann B. Ross is still writing, I'll keep reading. ( )
  bookswoman | Apr 20, 2014 |

Ann B. Rossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Darlow, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comMakeup palette cover imagesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
ThinkstockCosmetic supplies, glasses, & buttons cover imagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Miss Julia masterminds a makeover in New York Times bestselling author Ann B. Ross’s latest installment in her popular series

It’s summer in Abbotsville, and Miss Julia has visions of enjoying a life of leisure. But before she can even sip some iced tea on her front porch, a letter from her long-lost cousin Elsie informs her that Elsie’s granddaughter is on a bus headed to Abbotsville that very day. Reminding Miss Julia of an old family debt, Elsie proclaims that she is sending Trixie to Miss Julia’s to learn to become a lady. The nerve of some people! When the rude and unkempt Trixie arrives, even Sam and Lloyd agree that Miss Julia faces quite a challenge.

Meanwhile, Sam has decided to run for state senate. But when he has a fainting spell and has to go into the hospital for tests, who will run his campaign? Is his no-good rival going to cakewalk into office? No sir, not if Miss Julia has anything to say about it—and indeed she does, including up on the stump.

In this marvelous addition to the popular series, Miss Julia is sure to have a summer that she—and Abbotsville—will never forget!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

"Miss Julia masterminds a makeover in New York Times bestselling author Ann B. Ross's latest installment in her popular series It's summer in Abbotsville, and Miss Julia has visions of enjoying a life of leisure. But before she can even sip some iced tea on her front porch, a letter from her long-lost cousin Elsie informs her that Elsie's granddaughter is on a bus headed to Abbotsville that very day. Reminding Miss Julia of an old family debt, Elsie proclaims that she is sending Trixie to Miss Julia's to learn to become a lady. The nerve of some people! When the rude and unkempt Trixie arrives, even Sam and Lloyd agree that Miss Julia faces quite a challenge. Meanwhile, Sam has decided to run for state senate. But when he has a fainting spell and has to go into the hospital for tests, who will run his campaign? Is his no-good rival going to cakewalk into office? No sir, not if Miss Julia has anything to say about it-and indeed she does, including up on the stump. In this marvelous addition to the popular series, Miss Julia is sure to have a summer that she-and Abbotsville-will never forget!"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible