The Colors of Friendship (Colors Trilogy,…

The Colors of Friendship (Colors Trilogy, #1)

by K. R. Raye

91950,433 (5)None

This is the abbreviated version of the review. For the full version, please stop by The Review Board.

Before I get to the bulk of my review, let me present some things that were slight deterrents in The Colors of Friendship.

Cons

1. I think in dialogue, the use of conjunctions to start off sentences were a bit excessive.
2. The main characters almost (and in some points, did) veered into the stereotypical. Lance, the playboy. Melody, the excessively naïve hopeless romantic. Imani, the somewhat cynical black woman who’s a bit rough around the edges and slightly overbearing.
3. Although a person looking good can be important, I think the author kept going to the well a bit too much with this in Melody’s adoration for Kevin, and the whole “love triangle” (that is what I deem it)between Imani, Trevor, and Lance.
4. In some parts, dialogue segments were too long.
5. Some key points the author was trying to make kept getting repeated unnecessarily. It was constantly stated throughout the book that Melody was naïve and a hopeless romantic. I don’t think it has to be said constantly. In addition, the makeup of Imani being into her education and leery of getting romantically involved with anyone—didn’t need to be on replay over and over. The actions of the characters speak a lot louder than repetition in dialogue or narrative.

With that being said, there was so much to enjoy about this first book in the Colors trilogy. The main pleasure point was that it was relatable.

I could identify so much with the character of Melody. She didn’t have a lot of relationship experience. She gave her virginity to her high school sweetheart and being at college was her first true adventure away from her family and what was familiar. Yet, she wanted to hold on to the dream of finding that one right guy—the true love that would sweep her off her feet. In her zest to connect with someone, Melody gravitates to the first man that mirrors the very traits that she desires.

Kevin was designed a bit over the top gorgeous, but I think the author had to do that to make the attraction and the relationship between the two of them very believable. A guy that looks the part and says and does the right things in the beginning doesn’t act like the type of man that can ever cause any harm to a woman. The person that causes the most harm isn’t the stranger in the night but the warm body next to you by day. Yet the very thing that causes a lot of women not to report any type of abuse is the fact that the guy looks like the boy next door, very well known in the community, or incredibly smart or athletic.

I do like the character of Imani as well. She is very strong and has a great intuitive sense, as well as a strong mothering nurture to protect.

It was also great how the supporting characters also played a role in some of the action, as opposed to just being thrown in for the purpose of more background or filler. There was never a dull moment, and each chapter served to provide more layers to a character or add a bit more leeway into potential conflict.

The resolution was a breathtaking one, the impact lingering long after finishing the last word. I give the author enormous credit with providing an ending that was not cookie cutter and continued with the realistic edge.

The Colors of Friendship is a lot more than a stirring work of contemporary fiction. It opens up an honest conversation about the atmosphere of college as well as the blueprint of relationships. Although it is lengthy, the engaging narrative style, the conflict, and the healthy balance of telling the stories of all three characters, make this easy to get through. I look forward to picking up the other books in the trilogy to see how everyone fares.

Overall verdict: 4.5, rounded up to a 5. ( )
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,832,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible