Hot Pursuit (Hostile Operations Team, #1) by…

Hot Pursuit (Hostile Operations Team, #1)

by Lynn Raye Harris

This one was good but the plot did get a bit needlessly convoluted. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Let us just take a moment to admire that gorgeous cover! Hot Pursuit was a thrilling read that thrust a down-on-her-luck chef and her childhood crush turned highly trained SF warrior into an action-packed adventure of life and death set in the Louisiana bayou.

I love stories with tough heroines, and I do feel that Evie fit right into that category. She appeared to be emotionally fragile at the very beginning of the story when we got some insight into her past with Matt when they were teenagers, and then the disaster of her relationship with her business partner and on again off again lover, David West. As the story progressed, she gradually became bolder and seemed less like the “loser” she claimed to be. I enjoyed the arc her character went through, especially when I found myself questioning some of the things she’d been thinking or doing and then she would question her outlook on those very issues. I prefer to be shown rather than told that changes were taking place, and the author delivered that for me.

Matt was a wonderful hero in this story, even if he was portrayed as a jerk in the beginning. In his defense, Evie’s only memory of him was when he was a teenager with issues, and people change. He wasn’t a flawed character per se. He was always as honest with Evie as he was able to be. What I loved about his character was his commitment to his team and his job, as well as his selflessness to help Evie even if it meant putting his career on the line and facing possible military jail time.

I enjoyed the action and the evade and counter tactics in this story. It gave me a very good picture of Matt’s skills and gave Evie the opportunity to either step up or cower. There were multiple POVs in this story, six in all. I could have done without the villains’ POVs though, to be honest. I didn’t feel that their thoughts and conversations had any significant impact on the story except that they seemed like small fish or bumbling criminals. What did distract me during this story were the repetitive mentions of the repercussions Evie had to face in the wake of giving her virginity to Matt back in the day as well as the mention of the boat incident that led Evie to fear the bayou, or water and boats in general. Aside from that, grab this book if you love romantic suspense with tough heroes and females who grow to be their equals in every way.

I can't imagine whose story will be next, but whoever it is, I have to read it!

Favorite Lines:

His fingers slid into her hair. "If we didn't need to keep looking, I'd like to rock your world right about now."

"And I'd like to let you."

~*~

"Stay on my six," he said, nuzzling the hair at her ear and breathing deeply the sweet scent of her.

You remember what that is, right?"

"It's your ass."

~*~

Disclaimer: I received an ARC review copy from the author via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Jan 23, 2016 |
A nice romantic suspense with lots of action and a believable romance. However, some scenes were a bit long-winded, so my attention wavered at times. But all in all, I'd like to read more by this author.
Rating: 6/10 ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
didn't finish it either. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
didn't finish it either. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,568,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible