How to Marry a Highlander [novella] by…

How to Marry a Highlander [novella]

by Katharine Ashe

How to Marry a Highlander oddly reminded me of [b:Pride and Prejudice|1885|Pride and Prejudice|Jane Austen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320399351s/1885.jpg|3060926] in some places. Teresa Finch-Freeworth is determined to marry Duncan, the Earl of Eads… so she proposes. His terms for accepting her offer is that she first find a husband for each of his seven sisters. Teresa was fun to watch as she spun tall tales and traipsed about town trying to contrive marriages for the seven oddball sisters. If you’re looking for a light historical romance, I would recommend you pick this one up ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I have only read a book or two from this author, previously to reading How To Marry A Highlander. I have enjoyed her stories in the past, so I was looking forward to this novella. It is a bit short, 100 pages, but surprsingly was pretty well done, and wasn't too rushed as I expected it to be. It definitely had a fun flair of dramatics and passionate mystery that engages the reader fully into the story. I found the idea of their "wager" intriguing and the connection between Duncan and Teresa instataneous and I couldn't help but find the situation humorous and full of laughs. It was interesting seeing his sisters reaction to Teresa, and definitely was on their side. When a smart and cunning woman is involving in getting what she wants, a lone man has zero chance!! Although I did enjoy seeing him trying anyway. A fun and witty story that will capture your attention!! If you are looking for a short yet sweet romantic tale, definitely worth the read!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Nov 10, 2013 |
Katharine Ashe’s How to Marry a Highlander is a novella in her Falcon Club series. You don’t need to read the books in the series, but for a little background on Teresa and Duncan, you might want to read How a Lady Weds a Rogue since they make an appearance.

Upon hearing the local vicar express his interest in her, Teresa Finch-Freeworth, flees her home in the country to London with one goal in mind, to marry the handsome Scotsman she can’t stop thinking about it. She seeks Duncan, the Earl of Eads and proposes marriage, but is disappointed when he doesn’t remember her and refuses her proposal. Not one to back down from a challenge, she proposes a wager; for each betrothal his sisters make with her assistance, Duncan has to give her something in return. Will Teresa win the wagers and ultimately Ducan’s hand or will face defeat?

Ashe is a new author to me and everyone knows I can’t say no to a historical romance! The writing was engaging. It’s rare for an author to be able to capture the Scottish accent well enough in print and she did a great job! Oftentimes I can’t hear the accent as I read and it was a surprise to experience it with How to Marry a Highlander.

Character development can be difficult in a novella since authors are limited in terms of what exactly to focus on. Ashe does a good job with it. I really liked Teresa and she has a talent for writing and telling humorous stories. It’s pretty clear she’s the type of person to watch from the sidelines and is very observant. Duncan is a mystery! I still feel like I don’t know him and I think he prefers it that way. His sisters are a riot! The poor man doesn’t get any peace with them around and they were quite fun. The biggest surprise for me was Teresa’s brother and how he was willing to help her out when he learns of her reason for being in London.

As for the romance between Duncan and Teresa, they don’t spend that much time in each other’s company and that was a bit disappointing, but it’s pretty apparent Duncan is attracted to her. I would have liked a little more tête-à-têtes between them. The romances for our secondary characters don’t play a major role, but do add to the story. I have several favorite scenes, but the one that stands out is when Waldon, the vicar who wants to marry Teresa, talks to her about her reputation back home due to her association with Duncan. It’s pretty interesting what he had to say especially when Ashe delivers a slight twist at the end.

If you’re a fan of historical romance I recommend Katharine Ashe’s How to Marry a Highlander. I mentioned that she was new to me and I’m really looking forward to reading the rest of the Falcon series. ( )
  winterlillies | Aug 18, 2013 |
HOW TO MARRY A HIGHLANDER by Katharine Ashe is an exciting Scottish Historical Romance. #3.5 in the "Falcon Club" series,but can be read as a stand alone. A novella. Seven husbands for seven sisters scenario. Fast paced,quick read. Written with her usual witty banter,engaging characters and interesting plot. A light hearted,fun read. Duncan,The Earl of Eads and his six sisters and Miss Teresa Finch-Freeworth ,her brother Tobias make for a delightful story. Marriage and love is definitely in the air with "How To Marry a Highlander. Filled with passion,and romance. Oh did I mention a littler wager? What a fun story! Received for an honest review from the publisher and Above the Treeline.

RATING: 4.5

HEAT RATING: MILD

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Jul 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062273949, Mass Market Paperback)

Duncan has no intention of wedding the meddlesome maiden, and he gives her a deadline even the most audacious matchmaker can't meet—one month. But Teresa sets terms, too: with each bridegroom she finds, the earl must pay her increasingly intimate rewards . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

aWith seven troublesome half sisters to marry off, Duncan, the Earl of Eads, has one problem: he's broke. With the prospect of marriage to the pompous local curate, Miss Teresa Finch-Freeworth has one dream: to wed instead the handsome Highlander she saw at a ball. How does a desperate lady convince a reluctant laird that she's the perfect bride for him? She strikes a wager! If she can find seven husbands for seven sisters, the earl must marry her. Duncan has no intention of wedding the meddlesome maiden, and he gives her a deadline even the most audacious matchmaker can't meet--one month. But Teresa sets terms, too: with each bridegroom she finds, the earl must pay her increasingly intimate rewards . . .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible