The Sandman: King of Dreams by Alisa Kwitney

The Sandman: King of Dreams (2003)

by Alisa Kwitney

The first and only comic book to receive the World Fantasy Award, The Sandman continues to break new ground in the comic book medium and beyond. Author Alisa Kwitney explores its beginnings and chronicles the comic's emergence as a unique and undeniable force in the literary world. Richly illustrated, this history shows how Gaiman and The Sandman's gifted artists, such as Dave McKean and Yoshitaka Amano, create a haunting (and haunted) main character who wields immense power. With illustrations never before published, behind-the-scenes stories, handwritten notes, and interviews with Gaiman himself, this volume is a true testament to the dream king and his creator.… (more)

Excellent overview of the entire series, including the wonderful artwork. ( )
  ursa_diana | Sep 19, 2008 |
I happen to like the book, it is heavy so I was surprised to be able to finish it so fast. It would be a great supplement for the collection, it has some summaries of the stories from the graphic novel although one still need to read the series to really appreciate the story.

Ms. Kwitney is able to put in words the things that I have in my head about Morpheus, and I'd would reread the series again. She really hasn't spoiled anything major, just enough juicy parts without exploiting the magic of reading the actual comics. ( )
  jaypoxx | Dec 5, 2007 |
The visuals were nice, but I was expecting a little more commentary. ( )
1 vote xicanti | Oct 22, 2006 |
This is a pretty book, but it's very short on content. I thought it would have more behind-the-scenes information, but really it's mostly just a synopsis of the entire Sandman series. The artwork is very nice, though, and somewhat makes up for the lack of substance. I'm really glad, though, that I only paid a fraction of the cover price of $35. ( )
1 vote Crowyhead | Mar 22, 2006 |
Sort of a "guide to The Sandman," it does contain some interesting tidbits - such as the unique bit of art in the German translation of Calliope. And it will definitely make you want to read the entire series again. ( )
  inblackink | Sep 10, 2005 |

Alisa Kwitneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gaiman, NeilIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my uncle Paul, for being my hero when I was little, and to my Aunt Sally, for being Paul's hero now.
The Sandman library consists of ten story arcs - penned by best-selling and critically acclaimed author Neil Gaiman - that tell the saga of the Sandman, who is also known as Morpheus and Dream.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,793,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible