Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and…

Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and… (edition 2007)

by Chris Crowley, Henry S. Lodge

Member:kukulaj
Title:Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond
Authors:Chris Crowley
Other authors:Henry S. Lodge
Info:Workman Publishing Company (2007), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 330 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley

English (6)  Finnish (1)  All languages (7)
Another installment in the Old Races universe, this one a single long "short story". Sarah's story. Which is as awesome as you would expect. Love the detail work on this one. Definitely a good read! ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is a great fun and inspiring read. It is directed to men near the beginning of the last third of life, i.e. around 60. So I am certainly in the target audience!

The book is structured around Harry's Seven Rules: 1) Exercise six days a week for the rest of your life; 2) Do serious aerobic exercise four days a week for the rest of your life; 3) Do serious strength training, with weights, two days a week for the rest of your life; 4) Spend less than you make; 5) Quit eating crap; 6) Care; 7) Connect and commit.

The chapters more or less alternate between Chris and his physician Harry. Chris tells lots of stories from his own life and Harry gives more a scientific justification of the program they outline. The basic idea is that we are living beings, animals, mammals - that is the biological foundation on which our humanity rests. Our humanity is a rather thin layer on top of all that biology. Denying our animality just doesn't work. The smart strategy is to recognize and work with it. At one point they use the analogy of a horse and rider. That reminds me of the classic analogy from the Katha Upanisad, which I think was more a chariot drawn by several horses, but the intent was basically the same.

The program they outline is not so far from how I have been living already, but it has motivated me to make some changes. I try to exercise regularly but with only moderate success. This book has given me good motivational tools to be a lot more regular! Primarily by explaining how important it is. I am also cutting back to two cups of coffee/tea a day which should help me sleep better.

They do talk a bit about how this program is suitable for a wide range of budgets but I must say it does come across directed at... well, money is funny... Chris was a high powered lawyer... there is a lot of talk here about travel and gym memberships and shiny new equipment. Just regular medical checkups. I can afford rent and food and heat & figure that's pretty good. I think the program presented here can work just fine on a limited budget. But the presentation could put folks off a bit who aren't set up quite as nicely as a retired high power lawyer. ( )
1 vote kukulaj | Dec 5, 2012 |
There's nothing earthshattering in this book, but it presents a fairly simple and practical method for pursuing good health, concentrating on men over 50 years of age. ( )
1 vote chsbellboy | Apr 22, 2012 |
Only half way through, and I'm making new resolutions. ( )
  Salidad | Nov 20, 2010 |
A lot of practical advice, though you have probably read it before. Quotable sentences. "Make a sharp break with the past and a serious commitment to the future" p. 51.

Review, updated.....This quote really hits me......on the day I turn 80.

Harry's Seven Rules: 1) Exercise six days a week for the rest of your life; 2) Do serious aerobic exercise four days a week for the rest of your life; 3) Do serious strength training, with weights, two days a week for the rest of your life; 4) Spend less than you make; 5) Quit eating crap; 6) Care; 7) Connect and commit. Harry's Seven Rules: 1) Exercise six days a week for the rest of your life; 2) Do serious aerobic exercise four days a week for the rest of your life; 3) Do serious strength training, with weights, two days a week for the rest of your life; 4) Spend less than you make; 5) Quit eating crap; 6) Care; 7) Connect and commit.

For the past half decade I have been reading and not exercising. Looks like to to this I must cut back on buying books, readingbooks....,AND ......limit my hours on Librarything. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Jun 21, 2009 |

Turn back your biological clock. A breakthrough book for men--as much fun to read as it is persuasive--Younger Next Year draws on the very latest science of aging to show how men 50 or older can become functionally younger every year for the next five to ten years, and continue to live like fifty-year-olds until well into their eighties. To enjoy life and be stronger, healthier, and more alert. To stave off 70% of the normal decay associated with aging (weakness, sore joints, apathy), and to eliminate over 50% of all illness and potential injuries. This is the real thing, a program that will work for anyone who decides to apply himself to "Harry's Rules."

Harry is Henry S. Lodge, M.D., a specialist in internal medicine and preventive healthcare. Chris Crowley is Harry's 70-year-old patient who's stronger today (and skiing better) than when he was 40. Together, in alternating chapters that are lively, sometimes outspoken, and always utterly convincing, they spell out Harry's Rules and the science behind them. The rules are deceptively simple: Exercise Six Days a Week. Eat What You Know You Should. Connect to Other People and Commit to Feeling Passionate About Something. The science, simplified and demystified, ranges from the molecular biology of growth and decay to how our bodies and minds evolved (and why they fare so poorly in our sedentary, all-feast no-famine culture). The result is nothing less than a paradigm shift in our view of aging.

Welcome to the next third of your life--train for it, and you'll have a ball.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:29:02 -0400)

Live strong, fit and sexy until you are 80 and beyond!.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible