The Totally Sweet 90s: From Clear Cola to…

The Totally Sweet 90s: From Clear Cola to Furby, and Grunge to "Whatever",…

by Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

711,138,814 (2.5)None

A pleasant stroll down memory lane. Skip-it. The Macarena. Lisa Frank. Slap bracelets. If you remember any of those things or have a nostalgia for the 90's, this book is for you. Perhaps it's because I'm feeling nostalgic or that the title caught my eye after reading 'Ready Player One' (which is filled with 80's references), but I was curious about this title.

The book is basically an encyclopedia of various people, TV shows/movies, toys, crazes, etc. of the 1990's. It's listed in alphabetical order and each entry gets about a page that briefly talks about the history. At the end of the entry we find out whether the item/concept/show still exists and a fun fact about them.

Unfortunately the book is mostly text (it really needed more pictures, ideally in color) and the writing is really pedestrian. I only kept reading because it was so short. The format isn't really the type that lends to continuous reading but the writing isn't impressive either.

There's not much more to say. I picked this up on a whim but you can easily find this sort of thing on Buzzfeed or similar sites.

It's a pleasant way to kill an hour or a few if you have to wait around but I wouldn't rush out to read it. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |

If you can tell the difference between the Petes in Pete & Pete, know every step to the Macarena by heart, and remember when The Real World was about more than just drunken hookups, The Totally Sweet ’90s will be a welcome trip down memory lane.

With this hella cool guide, you’ll reminisce about that glorious decade when Beanie Babies seemed like a smart economic investment and Kris Kross had you wearing your pants backward. Whether you contracted dysentery on the Oregon Trail or longed to attend Janet Reno’s Dance Party, you’ll get a kick out of seeing which toys, treats, and trends stayed around, and which flopped.

So throw your ponytail into a scrunchie, take a swig from your can of Surge, and join us on this ride through the unforgettable (and sometimes unforgivable) trends of the ’90s.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

Revisits the era that gave birth to "The Real World," Zima, Beavis and Butt-Head, Bubble Tape, Furby, flannel shirts, and other trends, fashions, and pop culture icons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,473,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible