Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files by…

Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files (edition 2015)

by Jim Butcher (Author)

Member:elbakerone
Title:Skin Game: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Info:Roc (2015), Edition: Reprint, 608 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, Dresden, finished in 2016, recently read

Skin Game by Jim Butcher

Recently added byprivate library, mms.bookey, Karenlynnlindsey, rena75, superbfinch, crowtales, PapaSin, Mtibbs13

English (102)  German (1)  All languages (103)
This series continues to get better and better. I immerse myself so fully into when I'm listening to the audiobook, that it can be hard to come back to reality. It's so in depth and wonderful and their is no other series that has such wonderful character growth. In this book, Harry is ordered by Queen Mab to help his archenemy, Nicodemus, on a secret mission to rob Hades safe. Backed into a corner and with no way out his must think five steps of his enemies (now co-workers) and pull of the biggest job of his career. He enlists the help of his good friend (and hopefully soon lover!) Karen to help and they have to lean on each other now more than ever. Wonderfully written and plotted, this book was amazing from start to finish. I can't wait for the next book in the series! ( )
  ecataldi | May 21, 2019 |
I love the Dresden books and this one doesn't disappoint but I do think there are too many battles and he gets hurt all the time. I loved Murphy and Butters in this books. ( )
  bm2ng | Apr 9, 2019 |
I read Butcher's first book when it came out and the next 5 books. They are fun but it after awhile, all the unfairness and bad stuff that gets piled up on him gets a little old and I ended up not keeping up with the series. I read this particular book because it was a Hugo nomination for best novel. Skin Games is well written with plenty of action and interesting characters. However, once again I got a little bored by too much action. I knew Harry would work things out and did not spend much time thinking about what would happen to him or the story. On the other hand, I am also reading the Goblin Emperor, another Hugo nomination. So maybe I know where the plot is going but I **do** think about the main character Maia when I am away from the book. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
I don't know how many times I've read all of the published Dresden Files so far. I don't know how many times I've read Skin Game since it came out. It's just that I love this series so much and about every character in it. I love the short stories, I love the comic books, and the audiobooks are so good that 'love' seems not enough to express my feelings.

James Marsters is such a great narrator. He could read the phonebook to me and make it the most exciting book on the planet. Just when you think you can't make Skin Game any better he comes along and proves you wrong.

That being said I started 2017 (which is just 5 days old at this point) by listening to Skin Game all over again. And I can still say that my 5 stars stand. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
I could withhold a star from my rating due to the absence (on the page; he is mentioned) of my favorite character, but that would be petty, because other than missing Thomas, I loved this book as well as the last few Dresden books. Consequences are further explored (I'm loving the continuing follow-up on decisions made three books ago). Whatever inspired Butcher to write "Dresden Participates In A Heist," it's a delicious departure that doesn't really depart at all from the element that matters most in this series: the characters.

Getting to see Michael again (finally!) is the standout treat of this one for me, as are Butcher's occasional winking tributes to the classic elements of the heist story (including a reference to George Clooney, because of course if Harry were subtle with his allusions he'd no longer be Harry). After the grimness of the last three books, the pace of this one is fun and perhaps needed. Goodman Gray is a fascinating new character I hope to see more of. And the friendship of Michael and Harry, Michael's calling him out on flaws and mistakes, Harry realizing just how wrong-headed he can be (poor guy, that's kind of been a theme for the last few books), leaves me with eager anticipation for the next installment and further character growth. This series has come a long way from its first few installments.

But Thomas had better get some page time in [b:Peace Talks|22249640|Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)|Jim Butcher|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/book/50x75-a91bf249278a81aabab721ef782c4a74.png|40515430]. Just saying. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheckels, JenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comCover imagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lori, Julie, and Mom. You guys really came through for me. Thank you.
There was a ticking time bomb inside my head and the one person I trusted to go in and get it out hadn't shown up or spoken to me for more than a year.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . . . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden must help a hated enemy, Nicodemus Archleone, break into a high security vault to steal something belonging to the Lord of the Underworld.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible