FOUR PRETENDERS & THE TALISMANS OF DARKNESS…

FOUR PRETENDERS & THE TALISMANS OF DARKNESS & LIGHT: The Grimlindian… (2013)

by Melvin Karew

421,664,912 (4.5)None

No tags.

It was an enigma for me but one that I liked!!

Miriam Websters's definition for enigma: someone or something that is difficult to understand or explain

Which may make the following statement a little easier to understand; I really enjoyed this novel even though I found myself lost much of the time! The full definition for enigma pertained to this entire book for me. I don't know, maybe reading the 1st book in this series may have been helpful. Enigma's definition pertaining to "someone difficult to understand" may stem from author Melvin Karew's use of 177 characters! Although there was a character index it grew tiresome to keep flipping to & from it. While a good number of the characters are just referred to there are plenty of active ones. Those active are primarily split into groups and most of these groups are the good guys with one end mission objective (take out the bad guy) but each group has sub-missions or quests to fulfill before the overall mission can be. That's where the enigma's definition of "difficult to understand" came in, these sub-missions in some cases either started without a clear understanding (maybe reading book 1 would've made it clear) or the jumping back and forth between the groups during their quests facing obstacles that took them off course made it hard to keep track of who was to initially fulfill what. Lastly dealing with the definition of an enigma in the form of something hard to explain; obvious to me at least, primarily this review, and how to now explain how I was finally able to just enjoy the book. There were some very interesting characters, some great dynamics between characters and loads of nonstop action and/or intriguing events. I stopped looking at the character index, often it just muddled things up more by stating their relationship to another little mentioned character or region. I also gave up trying to remember a character or groups initial mission or puzzle piece that was to lead to putting the full puzzle together. I just enjoyed the engaging travails each group faced along the way and the introduction of exciting new aspects of how they overcame their travails.

I've never used the word, enigma, so many times but that's what kept popping in my head and this has been the most unusual review for me but I had to go with what was flowing through my mind. The rating to give was just as unusual for me to decide upon. After the first 17 pages (ebook) feeling lost with the onslaught of characters I stopped to count how many had already been introduced, by my count 42, and had a dreadful feeling for the rest of the book. But I honestly ended up enjoying the book very much but how do I gauge the measures I took to do so?? ( )
  mtchrista | May 7, 2017 |
This is the second volume of the Grimlindian Chronicles, and follows the adventures and trials of Ariadne as she attempts to escape from the clutches of Grimlindus and his cronies, and return to her father's kingdom. She is assisted by a new band of heroes; two thieves, an assassin, two barbarians and a sorcerer. Meanwhile, her former companions begin their own quests, to join and assist the resistance movements against Grimlindus.

This was a fun book to write, where most of the characters' personalities already developed, and with the introduction, or the reintroduction, of the last of the heroes. But my favourites are still the bad guys, Grimlindus and his followers... ( )
  MelvinKarew | Feb 10, 2015 |
For my late brother, Chris, and for his children, Ruby and Jack.
Pharos's vision clears and he sees Kristina looking down at him.

The second volume of the Grlmlindian Chronicles sees Ariadne and her friend, Diarmuid, prisoners by Grimlindus and his sycophants.  Grimlindus attempts a spell to unmake the princess, while a band of thieves and burglars become unlikely heroes in her cause.  Meanwhile, her former companions, the warriors and wizards of old, depart on various missions to prepare the Westland for the invasion Grimlindus's hordes.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Melvin Karew's book Four Pretenders & the Talismans of Darkness and Light was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Melvin Karew is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible